Sunday, January 2, 2011

On a mission


It is finally 2011!  I remember way back in 1998 when 2010 seemed like some far off futuristic world.  Well, here it is in all it's glory, so I am going to make the best of it!

Speaking of making the best of it, I got to thinking about what I wanted to work on for this year.  I really wanted to have a bunch of goals to aim for, and organize them out line by line, though there were so many things I didn't want to overwhelm myself (which I easily do).  Instead, I want to stay focused on one goal at a time, and see it out to it's completion.

So I was also thinking about how I am lacking in the wardrobe department.  I mean, with a husband and kids I tend to put my needs on the backseat a lot in order to make sure my family has what it needs.  In doing so, I realize that my wardrobe is just getting by.  And I don't like just getting by.  I don't require much to be happy, but I do believe I deserve good things as well!

My mission, then, is to sew my own wardrobe!

For January, I will be sewing skirts.  I want to start off with an easier project, and work my way up to something a little more difficult, but making sure I maintain quality, so that I end up with garments I do wear, and love to wear.  I still plan to purchase ready made items at the store, but the majority of my wardrobe I would like to sew myself.

I have already chosen a theme for this sewing mission, as well as two sewing patterns to begin with (I may add one more later).  Here is a rough draft of my plans:


Yesterday I went to Joanns and purchased fabric for the Simplicity 6735 skirt, so that I can get started this week.  I really didn't see any prints that I liked, so I ended up with a solid royal blue polyester knit.  It is a beautiful color, and it hangs nicely.  It is lightweight, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do about lining it, but I am starting to get excited about this skirt.  If this one turns out well, I would definitely consider making another one in a different fabric.  Besides, navy goes with a lot of colors, right?

So that is what I am up to for January.  I really want to dedicate this entire month to skirts and move on in February, but since I will be taking my time sewing each garment, I'll have to see how things go...

BTW, I did get a glimpse of the new Spring patterns in Simplicity and Mccalls, and I was in heaven!!  I only bought two Mccalls patterns, but I plan on doing some serious buying whenever Simplicity patterns go on sale.  Since I plan to be sewing a wardrobe, I've got to have options right?

Stay sew-filled!

3 comments:

  1. Simplicity 2868 is one of my TNT skirt patterns. I absolutely love that skirt, totally easy to put together. I've made about 6 or 7 skirts out of this pattern and it looks good in all different types of fabric: wool, linen, doubleknit...I hope you'll love it as much as i do!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a smart and totally manageable sewing agenda for January. I've made the t-shirt on Simplicity 6735 and love it. Reminds me I need to make another one this year. Happy Sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you have worked out a sewing plan that you are really enthused by! I'm looking foward to seeing your January skirts.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!