Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Eyeglass case reveal & New Project

First, I must apologize about being late with this reveal.  This weekend was difficult for our family.  The kids have been battling sickness left and right, and I ended up in the ER with chest pain.  It could be stress, I guess, but I didn't want to take any chances.  It turned out to be pleuritic chest pain, probably caused by a muscle strain of some sort which I don't ever remember doing.

Needless to say, I got into high gear, and sewed the eyeglass case today.  The instructions for the project were beautiful, and very easy to follow, but I must say that I had a hard time.  Why?  Because there was a lot of hand sewing that I did not anticipate.  I guess that is a beginning sewer mistake.  It took me a good 2 1/2 hours of time to make the case, and though it turned out pretty, and I am happy with it, I can't think of making another one right now!  In fact, I don't want to look at another eyeglass case for a while!  I hope my mother-in-law will like this case, as I really put in a lot of effort for it.  I think it will be well loved = )

Here are some pictures of the case:


This is the back of the case, with the button flap


This is the flap, opening up to a flannel lining inside, to keep eyeglasses from scratching

These are my husband's sunglasses.  They don't fit in the case because they are a little too wide, but I already measured my mother-in-law's glasses, and since they are slim, they fit pefectly.  Also, I must say that doing the buttonhole on the sewing machine went much smoother than expected!  I still need more practice, but that is one thing that went by well even though I had never done it before!

And the new project for the week of March 15th is...

A grocery bag tube from the Sew What! Bags book.  This is a bag to store those grocery bags that you never know what to do with.  Hey, this way you can reuse them, instead of throwing them out!  This project is on page 61, and the big skill here is putting in elastic.  I have done that before, but this just looked so cute I had to give it a try.  Here's to a great sew-filled week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!