Thursday, April 29, 2010

Second time is a charm

I started sewing last night, and I got on a roll.  I ended up finding some time to sew again today, and I pushed through and finished my apron!

I LOVE IT!

I think I just love it because it is something I can actually wear (oh vanity, vanity)!  But now that I finished my apron, I MUST make one for my son.  He will look so cute with it on while we are cookin' up somethin' good!




Ta-Da!  Why do I feel like dancing?




If you are interested in this pattern, it is Simplicity Sewing for Dummies 2824., and if you are interested in reading a more in-depth review of my experience sewing this pattern, then see the right.  

I really enjoyed putting this one together!  I can tell that I am finally starting to understand a lot of the sewing terms and diagrams.  It is making much more sense to me now this time around.  My only trouble with this pattern was the D ring tab construction on the upper left hand corner of the apron.  It took me a while to understand how the instructions were telling me to put it together.  Other than that, it was a piece of cake!

And speaking of cake, since this seems to be a cooking theme, I wanted to include one of our family's favorite recipes.  It is a hot milk sponge cake from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  It is also a low-fat yummy.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Optional Toppings
Cool whip
Strawberries or other fresh fruit
Powdered sugar

Grease a 9x9x2 inch baking pan. Set aside. 

Stir together flour and baking powder. Set aside.  

In a mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 4 minutes or till thick.  Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or till light and fluffy.

Add the dry mixture and beat on low to medium speed just till combined.

In a small saucepan, heat and stir milk and butter till butter melts.  Add to batter, beating till combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 min. or till toothpick comes out clean.

Cool on wire rack.

Top with your desired toppings and enjoy!  Our favorite topping is Cool Whip and strawberries, but you can also have it plain with a little dusting of powdered sugar!

Stay sew-filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!