Monday, April 26, 2010

I'm no dummy!

The project for this week is actually something that I started on a couple of years ago when I first became interested in sewing.  I remember going to Walmart, browsing through the sewing pattern catalogs in order to choose my first special project.  It was then that I came across the Sewing for Dummies collection made by Simplicity.  I thought to myself "Well, the books are wildly popular for various subjects, so why not a sewing pattern?  I'm no dummy! I can easily sew one of these patterns!"

So I bought this pattern that very day:


Not only did I buy the pattern, but I bought all the fabric and necessary items for this pattern to be sewn.  I was so encouraged by the little man displayed on the left hand corner of the pattern, stating "Stitch up a storm the fun and easy way."  In the end, did I have fun? No.  Was it easy?  No.  Did I stitch up a storm?  Yes, but not in the way I should have.

I am reluctant to pick up this project again, yet I really want to make an apron, because I love to bake with my 3 year old son.  We have a ball in the kitchen, and he is such a big helper!  As you can also see, this pattern has a kid's apron as well.  I'm going to try my hand at finishing an apron for myself first, but I would love to make an apron for my son as well (appropriately boy-themed, and probably in the color blue, his favorite).  Who knows?  He may be a chef one day!

Keep me in your thoughts as the week goes on.  I know that there are no really complicated skills for this projects, it is just understanding the pattern jargon/instructions.  Yes, even with Sewing for Dummies!

Stay sew-filled in every way!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!