Friday, January 18, 2013

Operation: Sewing Closet Makeover


Hello all!!

My hope is that your week has been well.  It is still raining here in Georgia, but I have found time to get my "house in order," so the rain has not been so bad.

Speaking of organization, I came across a wonderful blog called Cation Designs earlier this week.  She is having a Stashbusting Sew-Along, and I immediately became intrigued in participating.  The purpose of the Sew-Along is to challenge yourself to sew a certain amount of items for the year from your fabric stash.  

Sadly, this is my fabric stash:



It is by no means abundant or boastful only because I usually buy what I need, and don't venture into adding plenty of more (unlike my pattern envelopes).  Still, I like the concept of using what I have on hand before adding to my collection.  

So...I was thinking...my sewing closet is looking like a jumbled, crazy mess!!  I mean, how can I be inspired to sew when I have to look at piles of scrap fabric, sewing needles, and other out-of-order items?  I can sew, but it would be so much better to clean it up first.

That being said, I am deciding to use my stash to creatively come up with a sewing closet makeover!
This way I am able to participate in the Sew-Along, and finish a new project all in one!

I'm not sure how long this will take me, but I have already been perusing Pinterest in search of ideas.  I definitely want to convey a sense of  "oasis" when I walk into my closet to sew.  I'd like to be able to have a practical solution for managing all my pattern envelopes, labeling all my notions, and housing all of my books and knitting things.  For the closet decor, I would love to paint, but I know that will not be possible since I share the space with my hubby.  But I'm sure I'll find a way to bring in color some kind of way!

In the meantime, here is my pledge for the Stashbusting Sew-Along:

I,Vanessa, commit to using 8 pieces of stash fabric in 2013. 

I am looking forward to this!  I will keep you updated on my sewing closet progress, as I plan to be making most of the items I use for my room.  And if you are interested in busting a little of your own stash, check out the link to Cation Designs above.

Stay sew-filled!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!