Friday, January 4, 2013

Knitting away!

Happy Friday!

I wanted to check in and give you all a quick look-see at how I've been doing with knitting.  I started knitting approximately four months ago, with the help of a wonderful friend.  Actually, I saw all of her amazing projects (shawls, scarves, hats, socks) and became inspired myself.  Then when I heard that there were only two stitches in knitting (knit and purl) and everything else was a combination of those two basic stitches, I knew I was up to the challenge of learning a new skill!

So I borrowed a DVD on learning to knit from the library.  I popped it in one morning, sat down with all of my supplies, and learned to knit!!  My friend helped me to work out the kinks of my knitting technique (I was making my stitches way too tight) and I blossomed from there.  This is the DVD that I used:


I really liked this DVD, and found it extremely easy to follow along.  From the time I turned it on, to the time I knitted a swatch was only about 30 minutes. Also, the projects included on it were easy and adorable!!  It was not overwhelming to learn at all, but actually a pleasure.  My favorite part of the DVD was the stitch-alongs.  It was like having an instructor right there with you while you did your project.  For example, Melissa Leapman would show you how to cast on the stitch, do one row with you, then the screen would tell you how many rows you needed to finish before you continue to the next set of instructions (by pressing your remote).  

I used the stitch along feature to create a mini-version of their basket weave purse.  I created this one for my daughter, and even added a lining from some old baby fabric I had in my sewing room:





After I finished this project, I was happy to find out about the site Ravelry.  It is an AMAZING site for knitters and crocheters alike, with fun projects for every skill level.  On this site I found some really cute cozies:






 If you are curious as to what I am working on now, I will give you a sneak peek:



I hope to be finished with it in a couple of weeks, and then I'll reveal it to you!

If you are interested in knitting, I highly recommend it!  These days you can find me knitting just about anywhere I can.  My favorite place to knit is in bed, an hour or so before I settle down for the night. It is very comforting and calming, and it puts me in a relaxed state.

If you already knit, please share your favorite sites to visit.  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and I look forward to touching bases with you next Tuesday--with a finished project even!!!!

Stay sew-filled!


4 comments:

  1. So happy to see you back in blogland!
    I tried knitting once but it didn't work out. Maybe I'll have to try it again!

    That purse for your daughter is super cute! I love that daisy button. Years ago I made a case for my tiny digital camera and used that same button for the closure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got hooked on knitting about 6 years ago, can't believe it's been that long and I'm hopelessly addicted. I also crochet. I love the pbs show "Knitting Daily" and Raverly is also one of my favorites. Knitters like seamstress are always willing to share their knowledge. Your projects look great, keep those needles clicking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I came across your blog today in my sewing blog surfing and I"m so glad I did! I've enjoyed looking through your projects and I'm glad to see you are a knitter too! I've been a sewer for a long time but only a knitter the last few years. I feel like I learn something new with every project, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm excited to find other beginner knitters. I've been crocheting for a few years...sewing for a few months...and knitting for a few weeks! :)

    MrsCharisma on Ravelry!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!