Friday, December 3, 2010

Ottobre design Autumn 2010

I received the correct Ottobre magazine in the mail a couple of days ago, and I am delighted by all the cute clothing it contains!

Though I do a lot of sewing for my daughter, I wanted to start sewing more for my son.  It broke my heart one day when I came home from Joanns with fabric and sewing patterns for my daughter, and my son said "Mommy, what did you buy me?  It's not that I didn't think of him while I was at the store browsing, it's just that there are really no patterns for boys!!  Can anyone else relate?  I do tire of sewing PJs and a basic shirt and pants for the little man.  I want to sew for him, and not have to sacrifice style as well.

This is where Ottobre magazine enters.  When I first saw the designs in this magazine on their website, I was so pleased!  I knew I just had to try them out!  If all my efforts resorted in putting a smile on my son's face, knowing that he is special, and he is heard, and his mommy loves him, then it would be worth it!


This issue has a lot of really neat outfits in it, and it has a lot of cool stuff for boys!  Here are some of my favorites that I must sew sooner or later:


I am a fan of this little boy's outfit.  The raglan sleeve sweatshirt and dark denim jeans are so cool!  I have never made jeans before, but this makes me want to try!  Also, the button-front shirt to the right is also a great play on different fabrics.


This is another really cute outfit!  I think the hooded sweatshirt with the pocket on the front is a nice casual top.  The corduroy jacket is cute too, but I'm not sure if my son would wear it.


For my daughter, I am absolutely in love with these corduroy overalls!  The heart-shaped pockets are too cute for words!



This A-line jacket is so sweet!  It is so colorful, and I like the pockets and buttons.  It looks like a grown-up jacket made appropriately for a little girl!

So, I will have some work ahead of me...

Right now I am still working on the pajama top for my son.  It will be in the same fabric as the boxer briefs, and I hope to finish it in the next couple of days.

If anyone knows of any other resources for boy's sewing patterns, please let me know!

Stay sew-filled!

5 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to the lack of boy patterns. My oldest is a boy as well & I didn't start sewing until I found out I was expecting my daughter.
    The boy patterns are exactly the reason I'm wanting to subscribe to Ottobre. Can you tell me what the size ranges are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! The size ranges are in cm, and go from babies to teenagers (56-170 cm). The size correlates to the child's height, but the patterns run big. I sized down to 92 for my son, and plan on adding length to compensate. I only did this because the rest of my son's measurements were spot on in this size (chest, waist, hip, back waist, etc.) I'll let you know how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. All the way to teens. That's great! Gives you plenty of time to try them all out. ;)
    I just noticed that my blog isn't updating on your blogroll. I wonder if there's something wrong with my blog. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel ya on the no good boy patterns thing!! I'm also tired of just sewing pajamas and button-up shirts and pants for my son...I had no idea Ottobre had such adorable boy patterns!! I'm heading over to their site right now!!!! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I don't have kids, my friends are all having them these days and I specifically started a subscription to Ottobre for their great boys patterns. Haven't sewn anything from them yet, but I love having them there when the time is right. :)

    Might I also suggest Oliver+S patterns, too? They boys stuff is cute and the pattern drafting is excellent. I've made the button down shirt, sandbox pants and sketchbook shorts and they're all quite fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!