Thursday, November 23, 2017

A trip to Fine Fabrics

Hello everyone!  

So what do you do when the weather is overcast and you want to get out of the house?  Well, you call up your best friend and head over to Fine Fabrics (with babies in tow, of course)!!!


I have heard SO much about Fine Fabrics!  Not only have I seen quite a few blog posts about it, but I pass it every week on my way to and from church.  And yes, each time I pass it, I think "It would be really neat to go there someday."

I finally went!


 

We started off by getting pics at the front of the store.  It was early Monday morning, but there were still quite a few cars in the parking lot.  The store is tucked away off the highway, but you can't miss the sign when you are driving there.  

Now, when you walk in...


It is HEAVENLY!  The aisles are narrow (very narrow if you are bringing kids), but there are rows and rows of shelves with bolts.  You can find the fabric content listed at the beginning of each aisle, and there are attendants to help you pull any bolts you fall in love with.



I SO wish I had gotten a photo of the GORGEOUS African prints when you walk through the door!  I can't wait to go back and grab one up!  

This is how I made my way through the aisles:



I strapped my son to me in his carrier, and happily fondled fabric while he gazed at ALL the colors.  It worked, but NEXT time I will go with my bestie sans kiddos!  

We spent about an hour there, but you could easily be there longer.  


Oh the remnants! SO many different cuts at such affordable prices!! Must go back!


I think this was various notions...again, lots of choices!



Trims and more trims!


I am not even sure, lol! 



These end aisles have lace yokes for tops and tunics!  I always wondered about those.


It was such a great experience!!!!  Though I wanted to buy a ton of fabric, I restrained myself to two yards of navy ponte.  I just wasn't prepared for so much fabric greatness, and must get my budget together.

But I HIGHLY recommend shopping here if you are in the area, or interested in making a trip.  

In the meantime, my November plans are in effect, and here is a pic of an in-progress Sadie.  I chose a houndstooth knit print, and did the sleeve cuffs in black.  I sewed the funnel neck in the same rayon knit, but didn't care for the drapiness.  I now plan on using a nice black ponte instead.



*Wondering about my Kelly Anorak progress? See how it is coming along here.

Stay sew-filled!

6 comments:

  1. So glad you had a great time, I must get back up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't even imagine a shop that well stocked. I like some of those lace yokes and I save one from a top from the op shop... hasn't been used yet though. The houndstooth looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great when you have such a treasure of a store nearby?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool!! I love those lace yokes - I had no clue they were even an option.

    The top is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Looks like you could spend hours in there

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun Vanessa! That store has been on my fabric store bucket list forever! One day i hope! I love reading about your sewing adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!