Thursday, November 9, 2017

Piedra tent dress

Hello everyone!

There is just something about slipping on a dress that instantly brightens your day!  You know, the dress you go to when you wake up feeling blah, but want to turn your mood around?  Well, that is exactly what I achieved with the Piedra dress from Seamworks!


Let me remind you of the line drawing, because you will see that my version looks a tad different than what I showed you:

Do you notice the differences?  I am proud to admit that I've been pattern hacking!  I do love the original design of the Piedra, and see the appeal to the shape of the garment, but when I saw the pattern hacks included with the Seamwork magazine, I decided to give them a try.  The choices were a V-neck, cowl neck, or ruffle.  

Of course I couldn't just choose ONE, lol!  I needed a V-neck AND a ruffle please!  So, that is what I did!  It was very easy to follow the directions for the hack, and I am pleased with the results.


I used a REALLY old knit from my stash.  I know I got it from Hancock Fabrics as a part of the value section.  When my niece came to visit (I think she was around 9 or 10 at the time), she "kindly" remarked that the fabric design reminded her of poo.  Since then, I couldn't shake that impression when I looked at it, lol!  So, I figured this would be the perfect fabric to use for my adjusted Piedra.  If I didn't like it, it wouldn't be a loss since I wasn't married to the fabric in the first place!

Well, I don't like it, I LOVE it!! I think I need to convert every neckline to a V!!

As far as sewing the V-neckline goes, I could definitely use a little more practice, though.  I have found that you need to make sure you appropriately stretch the V corner, or you won't get it to lay right.  I also staystitched beforehand, and pressed a lot afterward.  I am happy with the results, and look forward to my next V-neckline.


I was able to sew a size S for the whole garment because it has LOADS of ease.  It fit perfectly!  For the hem, I serged the bottom for a clean-looking edge, and left it as is.  Actually, this whole dress is basted on my sewing machine, then serged for the final look.  I really want to work up the nerve to serge my neckbands, though.  I still have some nervousness there, and need to make some practice scraps.

Overall, this dress is awesome, and I may get around to making another one in the future.  For styling, I want to add a longer necklace, like colored beads or something.  But other than that, I am glad to turn this poo to "woo-hoo!"


**Have you checked my Kelly Anorak tab above?  I have updated it for the week, and plan to add more photos soon!!  You can also follow along on my Instagram!**

Stay sew-filled!



8 comments:

  1. Vanessa, your dress really looks comfy. I like the ruffle as it really enhances the look. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dress and the print is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty dress! I love the changes you made to it and I really like how you placed the print. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great hack! I love the ruffle hem. Looks super cute. No wonder it makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so lovely! The fabric is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I love v necks too! I recently made a McCall’s tee with a v neck and was in love. Your dress turned out great the fit and drape are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty dress - I love the print. It was such a great idea going with the ruffled hem, it added great detail to the dress, and it looks perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely! That ruffle hem is so sweet. Your fabric choice is perfect:)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!