Friday, March 7, 2014

Weekly wrap-up

Hello everyone!

I hope you are having a fabulous week!

I just thought I would share a wrap-up of my week.  I have been working hard on Burda 6910 and Vogue 1004 since Monday.  In fact, I was so exhausted last night that I decided to take a break and have a night off.  Now I am feeling more refreshed and recharged, so I am back at it again.  Here's the progress:

Sloper
This is where the majority of my time has been spent.  I started by getting accurate measurements of my body, along with my husband's help, and plotting them into a chart.  For every difference between my measurement and the Vogue "standard" for a size 10 I indicated an increase or decrease in length or width.

After adjusting my traced out pattern pieces, I went to work truing the pattern, making sure the side seams matched up.  By then I had something like this:



And that is only the BODICE!!  I still have a few adjustments to make to the skirt piece before I can move ahead to cutting out/sewing my muslin/assessing the fit.

However, I must say that I am learning so much about my body!  I never realized I have a long torso, and I need additional length in my back waist.  Who would have thought it?  Also, this pattern is nice because it has adjustable cup sizes!  I ended up with the B cup, and after all my adjustments, I did a practice tissue fitting, and it looks like everything is lining up spot on!  Now I am still curious about how the fit will be in my shoulders (with my shoulder slope) and my back (swayback), but I am hopeful I won't need a bunch of adjustments.  Even if I do, though, I am enjoying this process more than I thought I would.  I can't believe it has taken me this long to journey into getting my garments to fit properly.  Stay tuned to my first muslin soon...

Burda 6910
I did get my top traced off to make a muslin.  In all honesty, it is 3 pattern pieces, and I am GLAD!  That means there are less pieces to have to worry about fitting correctly.  Also, there are less added variables (like ruffles, tabs, collars, etc)  It's just a nice, easy, simple design.  That works immensely for where I am right now.  Since I will be sewing a muslin for this top as well (I'm gonna do muslins until I more confident with fitting, even on simple garments), I only decided to enlarge the waist by 1/2". I am hoping the small amount of ease (0) lends to a fit that is not too tight, nor too loose.


Stay tuned to a muslin for this one as well...  Who knows?  It might just be a week of muslins next week!!!

By the way, THANK YOU for all of your helpful comments about slopers!!  Though it is proving to be hard work, I know I am on the right track!  Mrs. Toad Sews has the same Vogue sloper, and she has pulled it out and started working on it as well.  Please feel free to check out her progress!  She hopes to adjust her sloper using a fitting book, and possibly draft a blouse for Patternreview's Fitted Blouse Contest.

Stay sew-filled!


4 comments:

  1. Progress!! Isn't it crazy going down the fitting rabbit-hole?! :)

    Can't wait to see your work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully this process will give you the go-to adjustments you will need to make to the patterns so the fit is spot-on. It will be worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to see you working on the sloper. I need to finish my Amazing Fit pants before I get to work on my sloper. I can't decide which to use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work on the sloper. It will save you time and headaches on future patterns. I don't have a sloper, but I have a TNT bodice that I use like one.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!