Sunday, March 16, 2014

Burda 6910 Muslin #1

Hello everyone!

Last week was a busy one for me!  I got some sewing time in, but not as much as I wanted to.  I did manage to finish the muslin for Burda 6910, though:


Let me prep by saying I basted all my seams together, and the only change I made was to enlarge the waist by 1/2 inch.  The only thing I did not do was put in the elastic for the side ruching.  Also, I used a cheap cotton jersey I got from Fabric Mart a few weeks ago.  This will not be a wearable muslin, but an informational piece, and boy have I gotten a lot of "fit" information from it!!

I'll start with what I like:
  • the Raglan sleeves were easy to sew, and I love the way they look
  • I think the side ruching will look great once I add it later
  • it seems like a nice overall basic tee
 Here is what I did not like:
  • it's too tight for my liking (I need about another 1/2 inch total of wiggle room)
  • I have some neckline gaping (what the what?)

I will be working on some changes to this top and trying it again.  It really is such as easy sew for me to work on getting the fit right.  What I am running into over and over again is.....fitting my shoulders!!  I suspect that my shoulders slope some, but they are also a little broad.  I have a sneaking suspicion that this is causing the neckline to gape.  What happens is, my top starts to ride up on my shoulders, and it drives me nuts.  I got some good information about this when I went to the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo this past Friday (more on that soon), so I am going to try a few methods and see if I can fix this issue.  I know I didn't stretch out the neckline, either, so I am thinking the gaping is coming from this shoulder tension.  I dare not cut into my beautiful orchid-y purple fabric without coming up with a solution!  So right now I am keeping this top as a work in progress.

I'll post again soon with my recap of the Original Sewing and Quiliting Expo in Atlanta (not to be confused with the ASE as I did).  It was really nice, and I have a lot I want to share with all of you!

Stay sew-filled!



8 comments:

  1. I made this top the other day and had major issues with the neckline. Other than that it was fairly easy to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What picky girl said. I think the neckband dimensions are too small. I made another one last night and I'm going to draft my own neck binding.

    I cut this second one the sane size but used 3/8" SA. I think it was a tad tight also. I used normal SA on the sleeves.

    Cute on you and I agree the rouching will be really cute!! Can't wait to see your tee! What are you using for your fashion fabric??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't see the neck problem in the picture, but from what I understand from others is that the binding on this may be a known problem. This looks like it fits pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to see this pattern made up... I want to get this one, too. I love the ruching on the midsection. And as for the neck gaping... I can't see what's happening exactly, and it looks pretty minimal... but it appears that you may need a shorter binding strip, allowing the tension to tighten up and let the binding lay flat.

    Does the binding look all gapped up funny when your not even wearing it? Likely it's the binding then. Every stretch fabric has a different percentage of stretch, and patterns often don't take tell you that. If this is a muslin, pick off the stitches of the binding, cut a shorter binding (maybe and inch or so) and re-sew it on. See if that pulls it in to make it flat.

    If the binding looks normal when you're not wearing it, then it's probably the shoulder issue I bet, like you said.

    I can't wait to see it all done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong being picky -- hopefully your can get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all your comments! I have answered everyone individually via email, yet I think the general consensus tells me this will be neckband issues from the pattern vs. shoulder issues from my slope/measurements. Kathy Sews has a great point, though. The neckline on the muslin looks fine when I take the shirt off--no stretching or anything in any way, so I am gonna work on the shoulder issue first, and address the neckband issue second. Either way, I will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not tried this, but I trust her advice! (I took her "understanding knit fabrics" and "more knits" classes on PR)
    http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3839/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that same "gaping" issue. I tried taking in the front sleeve seams 1/2".as the seam line wasn't sitting right and there seemed to be extra material above the bust..it looked better until I put the collar band on...now it "sits up " or gapes even worse fyi.
    Did you ever figure it out?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!