Saturday, May 25, 2019

Rock Your Style/Summer Plans

Hello everyone!

I am back to share my second look for the recent photoshoot I did with Atlanta Sewing style.  The theme was "Rock Your Style."  In other words, do your thang!  It actually took me a few weeks to figure out what I wanted my "thang" to be.


I have talked before about how I have a classic style with a bit of trend, and love to air on the side of sophistication.  Keeping this in mind, and wanting to do something with stripes, I decided to make the beloved Isla dress in black and cream stripes:



I have made this dress many times before, so please see here if you would like details on the construction, and a review of the pattern.  

We also took more group photos!!  


You can see the myriad of styles, and how well they blend together.  

I am forever grateful that I got to participate in this event, and look forward to more in the future (wink, wink).

For now, I am getting ready for the summer!  My kids are officially out of school, and I am officially off of work.  It is one of the best times of the year, but it is also when I tend to fade away from blogging.  This year I plan to RESIST the fade...(lol)

While I have been pleased with keeping my sewing plans to two garments a month, I am going to switch that up some for June, July, and August.  I will still do the SYV sewalong, but I would like to work on a mini-capsule.  I have been following along with TomKat Stitchery on YT, and love seeing all of the lookbooks from the garments that she sews.  Currently, she has been sewing "modules" recommended by another Youtuber named Christie Ressel.  

Once I checked out an explanation of the modules, I was hooked!  I can't wait to try it!  Here is the premise of it:

6 pieces of the following create 12 outfit combinations:

  • 1 topper
  • 3 tops
  • 2 bottoms
Each top must coordinate with each bottom, AND if you sew another module up in a complementary color, the outfit combinations go way up!

So, taking this simple formula, I pulled out my favorite kimono as an inspiration piece:


I will use it as a topper, and pull colors from it.  Here are some of my thoughts so far:

1. Sewaholic Renfrew scoop neck tee in a solid navy knit
2. Simplicity shorts in denim
3. Simplicity shorts in white or cotton twill in teal (wouldn't that be pretty?)
4. Still undecided about the other two top choices, but they will be something that coordinate with the pants.  Maybe a sleeveless blouse and sleeveless top?


So expect a slight change of directions for until Fall cycles back around.  I look forward to posting again soon.

Stay sew-filled!


14 comments:

  1. I really love your striped dress. It is really pretty, and it looks nice and comfortable. Stripes are so classic, and I love them. It was so nice seeing the picture from the ladies in Atlanta. I enjoyed checking out what everyone wore. Thank you for the information regarding creating modules. I really like that concept. I think Simplicity 1167 by Mimi G is a great pattern. Hopefully you will like it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like my dress! Thank you for telling me about Simpliciylty 1167! I believe it is now out-of-print, yet I can't wait to give the shorts (and possible top) a try!!

      Delete
  2. Love the dress you made! Looks great! I've been watching Whitney of TomKat Stitchery also and really think the module thing is for me too! I don't have a closet where I can pull together an outfit easily because I buy RTW sporadically and end up wearing the tops I have with jeans most of the time. I'm thinking I'm going to jump in and start planning a module myself! Gonna have to check out that other YouTuber you mentioned also. Anyway, still enjoy reading your posts and like your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley!! I am glad you are thinking of trying modules too! And isn't Tomkat wonderful?? I will report back on my progress soon--so happy you enjoy reading still!

      Delete
    2. I do both: Watch YouTube and read. I'm a voracious reader of sewing and just want to *see* and understand what others are making and how they style. I'm not a very good stylist, so I like to look at everything I can get my hands on sewing-related and when someone's a good stylist, that helps me tremendously! Thanks for blogging, cuz I know with kids and a household to run, it's probably difficult to carve time out for yourself to sew much less blog!

      Delete
    3. You are awesome! I enjoy reading a lot too! And yes, our days are full! However, I do my best to make it work.

      Delete
  3. Pretty stripes dress and I love your plans. Look forward to seeing all. Have a lovely day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your striped dress! It truly says "summer time"! I like the 6 piece plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I hope 6 pieces are more manageable than other capsules I have tried, lol!

      Delete
  5. I love your striped dress! Perfect for summer. I hope that you enjoy sewing in the module. I almost always do it that way because I have a large stash, and it helps me to focus. Hope you have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I love your modules! They always look so nice!

      Delete
  6. That striped dress is to die for, and one I want in my wardrobe! Enjoyed reading about your capsule planning....you are so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them I just love it. I found some excellent fabrics from Spandex Collection in NYC near me which was a nice weight, not too beefy.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!