Saturday, May 4, 2019

Catching up, and May plans

Hello everyone!

I am beginning to believe that there must be a few times when you follow the plan, and other times that you just go rogue!!! LOL!  For April, I pretty much went rogue.  I loved my plans for the month, but since I was working on a prior commitment, all of my sewing time got squeezed out.

However, I did have a BLAST at Project Sew Atlanta!!!!!  I don't even think I can find the words to describe all of the beautiful sewists I met, or how nice everyone was.  The event was a collaboration between @thatssewmonica and @atlantasewingstyle.  Monica, who also hosts the monthly Sew Your View on IG, was AMAZING!!!!  So humble, so sweet, so beautiful, and such a warm personality.  I only wish I would have taken more photos!!!  Nikki, who co-hosted the event, heads up Atlanta Sewing Style. It was also a pleasure to meet her!  She has a wonderful vision for Atlanta sewists, and has created this group (which I am a part of) to bring the local sewing community together in a fun and creative way.



This is the only photo I captured, and it was near the beginning of the event, so everyone was setting up their spaces. We were all in a big room filled with tables and outlet access for all our machines.  There were groups of four to each table, and additional ironing stations in multiple corners.  There was also a cutting table in the center of the room, and some benches pushed together for additional layout space.  The setup gave everyone a chance to chat with their respective "group" but also not feel cramped in the space.

For the morning there was coffee and light refreshments, followed by pizza during the afternoon.  I stayed and sewed until 12:30pm, but I wished I could have been there for the entire event which ended at 4.  Right before I left there was a time of sharing where everyone gathered around and shared their social media handles and information.  There was just so much inspiration in one room!!! So many creative minds working on such beautiful things.  

Actually, there is already another event coming up on May 25th!  If this sounds like something you would love to attend, and you live in the Atlanta area, or are willing to travel (we had someone drive from Florida) then follow @atlantasewingstyle. There will be some exciting things showcased starting the weekend of May 4th!

That said, here is the Isla dress I completed at Project Sew:


I have really learned to maximize my time at sew events!  Yes, I love to socialize, but I also want to go home with a finished garment.  So, I usually bring TNTs when I have extended sewing time.  That way I can sew without pattern instructions, and still chat with others without gettting distracted from what I am doing.

I am sure you are wondering what I will be doing for Me Made May 2019.  Last year I had so much fun taking daily photos, and participating in an online FB group contest, BUT this year I won't be as intensive.  I will still be celebrating my handmades "in the spirit of MMMay, yet at this point in my sewing journey I think my next challenge would be to work on pants. 

I haven't chosen any patterns for the month yet, but I am excited about the Sew Your View pattern choice for May:


I really love the longer length variations, and the sleeve detail on View C is such a different take on a shirt dress.  Again, I will be looking through my stash to see if I can utilize fabric I already have.  The fabric recommendations are: chambray, cotton, linen, seersucker and shirting.  I am certain I still have some shirtings, though not positive I have enough yardage.  This one is a real fabric hog, lol!

Overall, I am SO thankful to be moved back into my home! I am looking forward to this month, being back in my sewing closet to sew, sew, sew!

Stay sew-filled!  

  



4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely day of sewing and your dress looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky to have such a vibrant sewing community to be a part of! Love the dress you finished that day (!), and look forward to your shirtdress. I had that pattern in my cart, but didn't pull the trigger on it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vibrant is a good way to describe that day! Also, I am hoping for a Simplicity sale so I can get the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!