Sunday, May 5, 2019

Springing Florals

Hello everyone!  

I hope you are enjoying the weekend!

Today I am so excited to share the reveal of Atlanta Sewing Style's recent photoshoot!! The first look I made was for the  "Springing Florals" theme.  As soon as Spring gets here, I find that florals are on my mind. I just love that they feel bright, beautiful, and full of life.

However, when I first heard of the theme, I admit to being stumped as to what I would sew. That's when I found this teal jersey print at Fine Fabrics.  I was immediately drawn to the bold beautiful colors, and loved that the floral motif was whispered throughout.  I found the Mccalls 6073 maxi version in my pattern stash, and my look was born:


This is a size 12 with the following adjustments:
  • 3/8" forward shoulder
  • 1/2" dart removed at bustline for neckline gaping
  • front crossover tacked for modesty
Though the adjustments do not sound like much, the main amount of work for this maxi was the bodice.  It took me three tries to get rid of the neckline gaping, and get the fit to a place I was happy with.  In hindsight I should have anticipated this because I have had issues with gaping in other necklines many times before.  Gladly, once I got the gaping under control, the front crossover fell at a really nice place, and all I needed was a tack to keep it comfortably closed.  Voila! No cami or tank underneath needed, lol!


This maxi dress also has lovely features like gathering at the bodice, and slight gathering at the back waist.  When I read reviews of other versions for this dress on Patternreview I saw that the elastic casing was a lot of times left out.  In my opinion, I decided to put the waist elastic in because it cinches my waist just right, and enhances the back gathers.  While sewing this, you may want to take that into account and adjust this feature for what works best for you.

Overall, this is a lovely pattern for a confident beginner and up--once you get the bodice fitted for your liking.  

But I would be remiss if I didn't tell you a little bit more about our photo shoot!!  There were a lot of crazy talented sewists there, and they brought the "heat" in so many ways!!!


Personally I was just SO inspired by everyone's interpretation of florals for Spring!! So many sew sisters coming together, showcasing their craft, and letting their creativity speak for itself.  We represent Atlanta, and we love to sew!  

The host location was Topstitch lounge--the cutest fabric shop inside of Ponce City Market.  If you ever get a chance to visit, please go.  You will be glad you did! And if you like Indie patterns, then your heart will be fulfilled because they have an entire wall of just about every independant pattern company.  

Here are a few photos of the inside:





The day was so amazing and I was glad to be a part!

Would you like to be a part?  Check out @Atlanta Sewing Style to follow along with the fun, or join in with us too!  Stay tuned for more looks to be announced next month.

Now, who's in love with the maxi dress as much as I am?? More maxis please!!!


Stay sew filled!

19 comments:

  1. Your dress is gorgeous, Vanessa! And your sewing group looks like so much fun. What a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Ann!!!! I agree that it was a fantastic idea!

      Delete
  2. Your dress is so beautiful and I love the print. Looks like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana! The print was everything! As soon as I saw it in the store, I knew I had to buy it. That doesn't happen often for me.

      Delete
  3. You look stunning, Vanessa! How fun to have a photo shoot with everyone and their florals!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look fantastic, that dress is so pretty and love the group photo. all those florals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Beth! Your Craftsy tutorial was one of the ones I referenced to help fix the gaping for this top. It was very useful!!!!

      Delete
  5. What beautiful dresses!!! Happy to see more seamsters in Atlanta. Gonna have to check out Topstitch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please check it out! It is such a great store!

      Delete
  6. You look stunning in your floral maxi dress! Fit looks great. I like that there is a sewing style group! Everyone looks great in their floral makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Linda! RTW maxi's never quite worked for me, but I really love this one.

      Delete
  7. Wow, your dress is just stunning. You all look fabulous in your makes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like it! This dress is wonderful. It's nice that people show us such works! Congratulations on a good job

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dresses look amazing together! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. การเดิมพัน sbobet เดิมพันที่สามารถเล่นได้ตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง พร้อมทั้งสามารถลงเดิมพันได้แบบไม่จำกัดขั้นต่ำ โดยลงเล่นเกมการเดิมพันได้หลายรูปแบบ ทั้งนี้สมัคร sbobetยังมีทีมงานระดับคุณภาพที่พร้อมให้บริการคุณตลอดการเข้าใช้งาน

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!