Monday, May 28, 2018

Me Made May Days 21-27

Hello everyone!

Another week of Me Made May has ended, and what a busy week it was for my household!  It was the last week of school for my kids, so we are now in the throws of summer vacation as I type this  (woo hoo).

Here is the rundown of the week:


Day 21 started out with my son's 5th grade award ceremony.  I managed to hold it together and not cry like a baby, but I do admit it was difficult.  Even though I don't remember any award ceremonies for graduating 5th grade when I went to school, it is obviously a thing now.  I do realize the significance of what my son has accomplished, as I do think that elementary school is a lot more work-intensive than it was in the past.  I am looking forward to middle school years, and what that will bring!

 

And just because I want you to know the real truth about trying to get a picture of your oldest while your toddler is running around, here we are with my littlest bundle of energy (almost 2 now):


Somehow they both look remarkably similar, and got most of my husband's genes (though I'm not complaining, lol).  


Day 22 was a fun day because I found one of the first garments I ever made, NL6648.  I remember wearing this shirt faithfully in those first days, and feeling so good about having a shirt that fit well.  I made my own clothing label back then, and ironed it inside the shirt too.  Sadly, I can not find the pattern to make more!  There are some really cute views NL6648, especially a sleeveless one.  I guess I will have to keep looking or repurchase this one again.


Day 23 was one of my favorite looks for the week!  It is the Laura top by Rosy Pena patterns, with a little more length added than my first version.  Does it not remind you of Lula Roe?  Every time I would go to the carpool line to pick up my kids from school, there would be a stylish teacher there, waving the cars through, wearing Lula Roe.  I don't know if she sold it or bought it, but she had on a different top every day.  Each one looked a lot like this one, in different gorgeous patterns.  This is a nod to her, and also a nod to stylish comfort!  


Day 24 was a day of celebration for us!  It was my hubby's birthday!  Though I wanted to attempt to complete Me Made May without repeating outfits, I decided that 23 days was long enough.  23 DAYS! :) I am so happy about that!  Anyhow, for this repeat I styled it in a different way by adding a colorful pair of capri shorts.  It was such a good day overall.



In keeping with stylish comfort, Day 25 I wore S8383 again.  This one is not only a fave of mine, but got raves from my hubby.  When he compliments I definitely pay attention.  


Day 26 is my New Look kimono, this time worn with a coral RTW top and a lighter short.  I think I like it better with the light colors.   It really brings out the colors in the kimono better than how I wore it earlier this month.  One of my best friends got a chance to try this kimono on, and told me she would like one in the same colors and everything.  Since her birthday is coming up soon, I plan on sewing one or two for her.  When I saw the kimono on her, it looked so good, which is proof that kimonos look good on most everyone!!!!


Day 27 is another one of my favorite looks for this week!  It is another Moneta! But, this time I decided to go bold.  I saw this gorgeous double brushed poly at Sly Fox Fabrics, and had to have it.  I am a part of their online Facebook group, and have been getting sucked in by all the fabrics they display on their Wednesday reveals.  This fabric did not disappoint!  It is so lush and soft in person.  I will definitely be ordering from them again.  

So, I was thinking about my takeaway for this week, and I think I am seeing a pattern with the patterns I choose to sew.  I LOVE Simplicity and New Look!  I don't know what it is.  I am not saying that Mccalls, Butterick, Vogue, etc. are not my jam...I only tend to more readily find styles I like in these two lines.

As a matter of fact, here are some of the Simplicity patterns I picked up at the last 99 cent sale:


 I am already seeing great versions of this pattern going around, especially the latest version from Mimi G.  In fact, I got this because I saw that Mimi G bought it in one of her haul videos, and I just fell in love!  I like all of the views, so I am not sure which one I will make.


Let me start by saying I take back everything I ever said about bodysuits.  Mostly it was "that is such a cute style on her, but not for me."  My own sister even ROCKED the cutest bodysuit with a pair of high-waisted pants.  I appreciated it on her, but did not dare to fall in love with the style until I saw THIS!!!  I want to sew all the versions, lol!


I love this one in View B.  The asymmetrical style is not my thing, but I really want a nice top or dress with a ruffle.  So, I will give this one a try.


I wasn't initially drawn to this one until I gave it a second look.  I have a similar off the shoulder top pinned in Pinterest that I have had a hard time finding a pattern for.  This one fits the bill.  I think it can really make my vision come to life.



Lastly, I just thought this one was cute.  I like View C and D, but I am not sure how the ruffle will work for me.  I think if I can get it to sit at the right place on my bodice then I can make it work.  After all, it was only 99 cents! It was worth it to buy it and give it try.

I look forward to finishing out MMMay 2018' this week, and coming back soon with my final looks and thoughts.

Stay sew-filled!



10 comments:

  1. Your handmade wardrobe never ceases to inspire me! Your monetas in particular all suit you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There may be more Monetas in my future...

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to your son! My oldest daughter also completed 5th grade last week and is going to middle school next year. I love the fabric you used on your Moneta. This pattern really suits you so well. You had another awesome week of MMM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to your daughter!!! MMMay has been so much fun!

      Delete
  3. You had another great week!!!
    You probably like those two lines more because you have somewhat broad shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, but you are probably right! I do have broad shoulders, and that perhaps their patterns suit me better because of that? Great insight!

      Delete
  4. You have shown some truly great pieces for MMM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing these great pics. They look sunning on you! Congratulations to your son:)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!