Monday, May 14, 2018

Me Made May 2018 Days 7-13

Hello everyone!

I hope you had a restful week!

If you have been following me on Instagram @sewfilled, then you know that my entire family (except my husband) ended up getting sick with the stomach flu last week!  Usually, even with five family members, this does not happen.  As soon as the first person becomes sick, I start a mad dash of handwashing, cleaning, and disinfecting in order to keep germs at bay.  Well, for some reason, this stomach flu came prepared, and knocked the kids and me out all in a matter of DAYS.

Thankfully, and there is a thankfully, it did not last long!  Also, I was still able to post for Me Made May!

Here is what I wore for Days 7-13:


Day 7 I wore another version of the New Look 6378 Kimono in a rayon crepe challis.  This one was a quick sew since I had made it before.  However, the fabric I used was much drapier and fluid.  Still, I love the pink and orange flowers, and hope to blog some of my "off-the-grid" garments soon.


Day 8 is the Aurora tank top! I forgot how much I loved this tank when I made it last year!  The print is from Girl Charlee, and was such a good use for smaller yardages of fabric.  


Ok, so I was still not sick on Day 9, but I was dealing with sick kids when I finished my FIRST ever Jalie cocoon cardigan.  Yay! It is one of the items on my spring list, so that completes a third item!  And, yes, I finally get why others love Jalie! While I had a few minor annoyances, overall I loved the fit of this cardigan, and made no adjustments.  I think I will tweak the seam forward some for my next version, though.


I was so wiped out on Day 10, but I managed to pull out an oldie but goodie from around the time I first started sewing for myself.  I love this NL6034 top, and it still fits me very well.  I admit that some of the beginning garments I sewed were pretty scary, but this one still holds up.


On Day 11 I was turning the corner, and oh so grateful!  I put on the Sewaholic Renfrew and even got out of the house for some fresh air!! You may see this tee pop up in the shorter sleeved version before MMMay is over.


Day 12 I put on my mustard Colette Moneta.  If I could wear one dress all year, I would choose this one!  There isn't anything about it that I don't like, and that is not only on me, but on other people that I have seen sew it as well.   


And, finally, for Day 13, I welcomed Mother's Day with my floral Moneta.  On this day I had the realization that I have already made it this far without repeating any garments!  This is more of a personal challenge, but I am ok if I have to repeat because I mainly want to celebrate where I am in my sewing journey today.

So, for this second week of outfits I have felt so...motivated!  I mean, I am rockin' my handmade items every day!  Usually I will wear something I have sewn around 2-3 times a week at best.  And of those times, I will wear things that I REALLY like more often.  Like the Moneta dress...or my cold shoulder tops. 

Moving forward, I want to be less afraid to let go of things that just don't work for me.  I have designated a section for sewn items in my closet (specifically) and want to learn not to cling to them just because I spent the time and energy to create them.  Instead I aim to wear my items, accessorize them with what I have, and if they are not what I intended them to be, then let them go (give away, etc.)  You know...the exact same thing I was already doing with RTW clothing, lol!  

Those are just my thoughts moving into this week.  I will be buckling down this next week as I have a few more items I am working on so I can finish strong.  If you are also taking part in MMMay, I would love to hear any newfound thoughts or ideas from you!

Stay sew-filled!





8 comments:

  1. They are lovely styles! I especially love the red dress. It looks stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you're feeling better!!

    Another great week and congrats on being able to go 2 weeks without repeats!! Isn't it exciting?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the Kimono! And of course the mustard dress, which is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about the stomach flu. I'm glad you're all feeling better now. You're doing so well with MMM, and going two weeks without repeats is a great accomplishment. Your Jalie looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look wonderful in all of these new creations! I've got to get my butt upstairs to make a Kimono. Fabric, pattern, check. Just need to ignore the crazy world and SEW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything you've made and wear! All are so beautifully made!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!