Monday, May 21, 2018

Me Made May Days 14-20

Hello everyone!

Me Made May is still going strong, and I hope you are not tiring of it, lol!  I think I woke up on Day 16 and thought "Wow, it seems like I have been doing this FOREVER!"  Of course I haven't, but it just feels like it.  Then again, I don't think I have ever kept such close track of my wardrobe before.  I have always taken photos here or there, but not every day.   Thankfully, this amount of mindfulness is allowing me to see my own personal style and choices in a new way.

Here is my recap of the items I wore on Days 14-20:


Day 14 is an unblogged top that I found while flipping through my pattern binder.  It jumped out at me because the sleeves looked so fluttery.  However, when I sewed it, I was so disappointed.  The sleeves looked more droopy to me.  Nevertheless, I love V-necks, and it is still wearable and "spring-like."


Day 15 is my last cold shoulder top in a wild print.  In fact, I wore this top about a month ago to a custom pizza joint with my family.  While I was filling up my drink at the soda fountain, a random woman came up to me, tapped me on the shoulder, and exclaimed "I love your top!"  I was a bit taken aback, but I thanked her and went back to eat with my family.  On the outside I was calm, but on the inside, I was SO EXCITED!  I mostly sew for my own personal taste, and it is an extreme bonus when someone else finds something I have made enjoyable.


Day 16 is my favorite handmade of the week!  I happended to be cleaning out my sewing closet when I spied this dress in the corner of the room.  I started it last summer with my best friend, and the weather turned too quickly into fall, so I never finished it.  Also, the fit of the sleeve wasn't right with the print of the chevron.  It just didn't look right.  So, I decided to re-work the dress by cutting off the sleeve portion and binding it instead.  It worked wonderfully!  My husband loved this one too! So, by request, I am sure I will be making another version in the future.  


Day 17 was special to me because I got to attend my daughter's award ceremony!  I wore the Tomi by Empty Hanger Patterns, and it is the bomb, you all!  I love this dress so much! It was the perfect dress for a little bit of a dressier occasion, but I think a more casual fabric will give this style a more everyday look.  My plan is to experiment and see if I can make a casual version happen.


Day 18 solved a dilemma for me.  What happens when you start a project and it fails?  Well, you can always reuse your leftover fabric and create something new! That is what I did here.  This awesome fabric from Joann's was supposed to be a Burda top, but didn't work out for me.  So, I used what was left to SQUEEZE out NL6735, a cute scoop neck tee with short sleeves.  I love this fabric!


Day 19 and I had to get up early to help my husband with some business matters.  When I got up, the weather was a bit cool, so I decided to see if I could get away with wearing my favorite Sewaholic Renfrew, even though it is a sweater knit.  I am happy to report that I made it through the day without sweating, lol!  I love this top and this color, but I surely won't wear it again until the Fall.


For Day 20 I dug out a Target maxi skirt, and paired it with another New Look 6735 top.  It is not quite a TNT yet for me, but they were easy tops to sew, and they will serve me well in the basic department.  I did not sew the maxi, but one is on my list for summer!!

That concludes my week of MMMay!  My takeaway for this week was to step out of my comfort zone a little more often.  That can be intrepreted in any kind of way, but for me, I tend to LOVE basics!  I love having foundational garments that you can mix and match, dress up and down.  That will not change much because it is how I am.  However, I am realizing that I can push myself to include more "trendy" or "on-trend" items.  Sometimes that is the only way you know if something is for you or not--you try it and see!  I mean, it's just fabric, right?  My goal, moving forward, is to offer myself the opportunity to dream more in my wardrobe!! DREAM!!!! So, stay tuned!  I will try and come back this week and expound some more on this goal.

Stay sew-filled!

6 comments:

  1. Awwwww how awesome for you!!! Like you said, you sew for you and your wardrobe needs but it IS pretty cool to receive compliments from unknowing strangers.

    Another great week. I really love your look yesterday and WOW you've got some really great tops here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are have a wonderful MMM and your clothes are gorgeous and well fitted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had another great MMM week. That's a great goal to allow yourself to dream and try new things. I always find myself going back to basics, too. Looking forward to seeing what you'll be making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual your handmade wardrobe looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Vanessa. I love the lace dress and the chevron skirt outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!