Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Rosy Pena Laura Top Spring Item#2

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all well! I am continuing to plow ahead with my Spring Capsule wardrobe, as well as creating Tops that Pop (with a twist).  So today I am showing you my second item from the capsule, and my first entry for the Tops that Pop challenge.  It is the Laura Top by Rosy Pena Patterns, and it is a good one.  Staple alert!!!!!!


I made this top in a size S, slightly graded to a M at the waist, since it has a relaxed fit.  Since I was using a rayon spandex, and was super stretchy, the S fit the bill.  For this pattern, there are two views--dress and top. Both views include a curved hem that covers your bottom, but the dress length is MUCH longer.  

I knew I wanted a top that fell more into the "tunic" category, so I proceeded with the dress view. However, the finished dress (combined with this floral fabric) looked too much like a nightgown on me!  Oops!  So, you know I had to take up the length some.  I ended up cutting about 6 inches off, which I like MUCH better.  Here you can see that I still get good coverage of my behind.  

  
When it comes to my wardrobe, this top is perfect for pairing with leggings.  I am always looking for something to throw on over them, and run out the door.  I am sure I will make more for that reason. 


Overall, this is a QUICK top that comes together in a blink of an eye.  The instructions are super easy to follow, and the neckband is sooo beautiful!  Considering that this was my first Rosy Pena pattern, I must say I am impressed, and am definitely open to sewing more from her in the future.  

Before I go, I also wanted to share a bit of my latest fabric shopping excursion with you!  I posted a few pics to Instagram, so some of you have already seen it, but I had such a great time!  I was GIDDY to get back to Fine Fabrics without any of my kids in tow.  Better yet, I was accompanied by my best friend, who only recently (a few months ago) started sewing too.  

We just made it a moms morning full of fabric shopping, laughter, and lunch!


 All of the photos are taken at Fine Fabrics except the upper right corner.  We started our day at Fine because we knew how huge and amazing it was, but we also wanted to check out the second location of Gail K Fabrics, which you can find in close proximity to where we were.

Now, I must say that Fine Fabrics is one hoppin' place on a Saturday morning!! We got there at 9, and there were already lots of people perusing the aisles.  I brought a shopping list so that I could stay on track.  I knew that loads of fabric without a plan would overwhelm me.  In fact, even with a list I was a bit overwhelmed.  There are just so many aisles of happiness and fabric!

My lovely friend Keiva (who made the fabulous shirt she is wearing) had an altogether different plan.  This was her fourth time there and she was READY!!! She pulled so many bolts in such a lightning fast way that my head was spinning, lol!  One of the bolts she pulled seemed to be a "seamstress favorite" because two or three customers added a cut of it with what they were already purchasing.  It is a gorgeous floral fabric with purple flowers shown below:



All of those fabric lovelies went home with my bestie, while here is what I decided on:


The two fabrics with the shades of blue were remnants I purchased for $6.99 for 3 yards!  That might be enough yardage to do a mommy and me theme with my daughter.  The far left is a woven, while the middle blue/green print is a knit (probably poly). The last piece was a jersey knit I just fell in love with.  I have been wanting to include pinks in my Spring collection, but it hasn't been easy to find the colors/prints I really like.  Fortunately, this one really spoke to me!

The Gail K. trip was far less exciting.  The newest location in Norcross is not as impressive as their Midtown location, though the service was great.  I only purchased half a yard of black and white plaid to use as a trim on a garment I will be working on.  The rest of their fabrics, while lovely, are not priced as reasonably as what you find at Fine.  It is worth a trip, just expect to pay a little more and you will be good to go.

Both locations (Fine and Gail K) had older, out-of-print patterns for $1 each!  Fine took the mold because they had classic Burda patterns!!! I rifled through them, but didn't see anything that I could use.  However, now that I know about this area near the cash registers, I will be checking it out each time.

After our long day, the BEST news was this--I was so far under budget that I got to place an order with Fabricmart Fabrics as well.  They actually had quite a few pieces I was looking for, including a pretty pink rayon challis for another kimono. Winning!

Lastly, here is a sneak peek of my next top:




I actually haven't sewn a seam yet!  I just pinned the two pieces to the form and free formed how I thought it would go according to the line drawing.  I plan on working on it tonight, and hope it is another quick one to make. 

Until soon!
Stay sew-filled!

10 comments:

  1. You found some good fabrics!! I have wanted to make that Burda for forever. Can't wait to see it on.

    Your Laura top is cute. How do you find the armhole fit?? Probably okay because it's a knit but the sample for the pattern had so many wrinkles and looked really low that it turned me off. But I like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking about the armhole fit on the Laura. I didn't find it to be an issue with this knit, but I did take an extra 1/4" out of the seam when I was fitting it to my body. It feels nice, and not at all tight or constricting for this version. But I do remember seeing those wrinkles you mentioned, and like the way your mind thinks!!!

      Delete
  2. Your Laura tunic is so cute with the leggings and I love the sneak peek too. As for your fabric you made some great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! The tunic looks lovely and comfy! Thank you for showing many beautiful fabrics. I would like to go fabric shopping in your country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve been seeing the laura top a lot lately. Yours is so beautiful. Great choice of fabric for it. You picked some really beautiful fabrics. Glad you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tunic and fabric choice, beautiful. Looks like you and your bf had a great time together, fabric shopping is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome top and post! So glad you all had a blast:) Great fabric choices. Love you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabric shopping with friends is the best. I like the Too , shoulder is different.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!