Thursday, March 15, 2018

Spring Sewing Plans

Hello everyone!

I hope this week finds you well!  I have to start by saying THANK YOU to all the nice comments about my Moneta dresses in my last post.  I always do my best to answer each one via email, and it was nice to know you all loved my dresses about as much as I did.

The weather here in Georgia has been yo-yoing around (one moment low 30s, then high 50s the next), and while I probably could continue sewing from my Fall/Winter plans, I decided this past weekend that I will move onto SPRING items.  The weather was a big influence in making my choice, but to be honest, having clothes to wear is what truly won out.  While I have some Spring items left from last year, there is no way I can get through the season with those garments alone.

So, for the past three weeks, I have been taking the "Design Your Wardrobe" interactive experience (class) from Seamwork patterns.  It happens once a year, and is offered for FREE to Seamwork subscribers.  I admit that I started out taking it to just see if I was on the right track with how I was organizing my capsules, and planning my sewing, BUT I quickly found out there was so much more I could be doing!!!!

My SPRING capsule will be inspired by this Mood board:


 I am excited to bring out some bright, beautiful COLOR!  My color palette (shown in the middle) will be shades of blue and pink, with gray and cream neutrals.  The feeling I want to evoke can be summed up with these three words: Chic, Confident, and Classy.

Here are the line drawings of the patterns I am starting with:


As you can see, I have three choices I am "rolling over" from Fall.  I will re-visit the leftover Fall pieces later this year. Left to right, here are the pieces I chose:

1. Threadcount Tunic 1617

2. Love Notions Oakley Vest

3. Mid-rise Ginger Jeans from Closet Case

4. Laura Top by Rosy Pena Patterns

5. New Look 6378 Kimono

6. Burda Jersey Top

7. Ottobre 2018 Rita Linen Skirt

8. Ottobre 2018 Maureen Sleeveless Top

9. Burda Young Blazer

10. Kalle Tunic from Closet Case

11. Jalie Cocoon Cardigan

WHEW!  Those are a lot of choices!  But I am excited to start something fresh and new.  I already have a lot of fabrics in my stash that coordinate with my color theme, so I have been matching up patterns with fabric I already own. 


These are some of the fabrics I pulled!  The top floral one is a Rayon Challis I will use for the Kimono pattern, if I have enough yardage.  Next is a Crepe Snakeskin print, then a Royal blue Sweater Knit I am thinking will suit the Jalie Cocoon Cardigan well.  Below that is a Blue-Green Rayon Challis (my fave) which I am leaning toward using in the Threadcount Tunic or Ottobre Maureen.  Lastly is a Chevron Shirting fabric that I was just ok about when I received it from an online order.  So, I am thinking I will use it for a wearable muslin for the Kalle.

Sometime next month I plan on going fabric shopping at Fine Fabrics, yay!! During that time I will fill in the gaps of my capsule with more pinks, reds, and neutrals.  I am sure I will be sewing this right into Fall, so I am not rushing the process.

My FAVORITE part of my capsule is that I am sewing some "new-to-me" patterns!! The first is the Jalie Cocoon Cardigan! 


Jalie 3353


I have had this pattern for a few years now.  I purchased it with the intent of seeing what all the excitement about Jalie patterns was.  I was re-organizing my sewing closet when I found the pattern filed away on a stack of patterns I hadn't put up yet.  I think it will be the perfect garment for this weather we are having.  I will let you know how it goes!

The next "new-to-me" patterns in my Spring capsule are the Ottobre woman's patterns.  Early this year, I finally subscribed to the womans' magazine!!!!!  I am so glad I did!  The Spring/Summer issue has lots of styles I am interested in making, but I only chose two for now.  I am hoping the designs it me with the same relative ease as the designs I have sewn for my kiddos.  Here are the two designs I chose:


The sleeveless top shown on the left is a definite spring/summer go-to for me!  I like the look of the contrasting yoke and collar.  Also, you cannot tell from the photo, but the back of the hem dips down too, and since that is a running theme with a lot of my Spring items, I knew I wanted to sew this one!


Again, at the left above you can see the linen skirt.  I do have a linen skirt I sewed years ago when I first started sewing.  I really loved the style of it, but didn't wear it as often.  I think this style would get more wear, and help me ease more skirts into my wardrobe again. 

My last "new-to-me" is the Laura Top from Rosy Pena Patterns!  With the launch of  her sewing pattern line, I purchased the Laura sometime last year, and am now ready to make it!  It looks like a easy sew, and again, I love the lower hemline in the back.


Here it is in my folder all printed out and ready to assemble!!

Right now I am working on the Erica wrap dress from Seamwork Patterns:


This will be my first wrap dress once I complete it.  I have most of the bodice assembled, but I think I put the neckline facings on wrong, so I am back-tracking and figuring that part out.  I am having lots of fun working on dresses, so you may be seeing more of those on the blog this year!

And lastly, I am also sewing a shirt for my daughter.  It is an all pink tunic style shirt she can wear over leggings, and she has been asking me everyday when it will be finished, lol!  Next time I will sew it without her knowing and just give it to her!  She doesn't understand her mama's turtle-sewing ways!

I haven't forgotten to show you my Adel tank top from last month, and will do a post on that soon.

Stay sew-filled! 





6 comments:

  1. This is going to be beautiful, Vanessa! You are definitely going to be chic, confident and classy! LOL at your "turtle sewing ways"- sewing for daughters is a lot of fun and sharing your love of fashion is definitely something special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sewing plans so... :) The fabrics are so pretty!! I also think there's going to be a whole bunch of us in that V-neck Ottobre top! It's just so great.

    Good luck on all of your plans! I'm sure the wrap dress will work out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright Vanessa let's get this party started! I cannot wait to see your vision board come to life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to the yo-yo weather. It's the same thing here in Texas. I love your color palette, and you've chosen some great patterns. I need to buy the Laura top; I've been seeing it a lot on the blogs. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Good luck with all your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all good ! I haven’t tried otterbre yet. I’m working on my Spring /Sumer plans too, you have me a few ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!