Somehow I blinked and missed most of February!!
I knew it would be a short month, but I admit that I didn't realize it would go by that fast. My whole February plan was to focus on pants, and I have surely done that. I worked on three different muslins, then finally said "enough!" Here is the process I started for what I am affectionately naming my Ponte Pants:
Version #1 (camel-colored) ponte knit--I cut this version out "as is" in a size 10, with blending to the hips to a size 12. The end result? It could NOT fit over my derriere!!! No bueno!
So, I debated re-cutting another pair, but decided to add fabric to the seam allowances instead so I could test out a full butt adjustment. I also scooped the crotch curve, let out the side seams, removed fabric at the center front/center back, and deepened the curve to the front and back. It all looked ok, but I still needed more room in the back for fabric bunching at the knees.
Version#2 (purple) ponte knit--This was my best fitting version! I transferred all of my adjustments to this version, and it looked pretty good. I decided to deepen the curve in the back. There was still some bunching behind the knee, but it wasn't too bad.
Version #3 (white) ponte knit: I really thought this would be my last version. Since Version 2 was pretty good, I just knew this one would hit it out of the park. Well, I blame my own error. Somehow when I transferred my adjustments I accounted for the seam allowance incorrectly. So, they were too small!!! At this point I was done, and I threw all three muslins in the corner of my sewing room, lol!
I will definitely dig them out for the month of March, and finish the purple pair so I can move on to cutting into my stretch denim. I must also note that I saw there is a pocket extension for the front of the Sabrina Slims, so I downloaded it for some added styling in my final version. Hopefully all the changes I have made so far will give me a good head start, and a fresh perspective for getting them done this month.
Moving on, for the second week of February I took a detour and spent time on some off season sewing. Empty Hanger Patterns will be releasing a wonderful tank top, and I got the pleasure of trying it out. It is awesome!!!! I look forward to showing you more of the top soon, but I can already tell you that it is a necessary wardrobe staple for warmer weather that can be dressed up or down.
After my week of testing, I didn't want to delve into pants, so I looked at my capsule wardrobe plan again, and turned my attention to the Colette Moneta dress. I liked that it was such a well-received pattern. I thought this would at least up my odds for success, and to be honest, I just wanted to create another finished garment from my capsule.
I AM SO GLAD I CHOSE THE MONETA!
It was everything it lived up to be!
So of course I made two versions:
If you follow me on Instagram, you have already seen this version in a floral knit blend. I couldn't wear this dress fast enough after I completed it, I was so smitten with it! In fact, even though it rained, I still wore it to church!!
For my second version, I jumped straight into using this mustard French Terry knit I originally wanted when planning my capsule. Most of it went together well, though the knit did wrestle me when it came to attaching the bodice. I haven't worn this one yet, but I plan to make that happen soon.
I will plan on doing full reviews for each of these items soon. I haven't figured out how I want to organize everything since I am starting March with a backlog of unblogged items (haven't done that before), but I do want to share my excitement for the three pieces I finished for February. Here's hoping that March will be a dream sewing month for all of us!
Stay sew filled!