Friday, April 13, 2018

New Look 6378 Kimono Spring Item #1

Hello everyone!

I finally put a dent in my Spring wardrobe capsule!  I present to you the first item of the collection, New Look 6378, a kimono made from a lovely floral rayon challis:


I chose a kimono because it is such a transformative piece.  I mean, you can have on a plain tee and jeans, but as soon as you layer on the kimono your whole outfit just...transforms!

As far as my closet goes, this will be the only kimono in it for now.  I actually owned one a couple of years ago.  It was sheer, also floral, and mostly jade green.  Well, my niece came to visit one summer, and immediately fell in love with it.  When she tried it on, I hate to admit it, but it looked so much better on her!  So, with love and kindness, I gave my kimono to her.  Sadly, I have not invested in another kimono until sewing one now.

For the future, I WILL make another one of these!  I have an upcoming trip to Fine Fabrics where I will scout out another beautiful rayon challis print.

Here are the details for this version:


The rayon challis is from my stash, and I wish I could remember where I bought it from.  It is a gorgeously soft piece with a navy background, and flowers that include shades of blue and white.  NL6837 (View C) was an incredibly easy sew, and I made a size S, graded to a M at the waist.  For my next version I may just sew a straight S.  I also did a 1/4" Forward Shoulder Adjustment and 3/4" lengthening.

I decided to use my serger to finish all of the seams inside, but you could also opt for french seams if you don't have a serger, or wanted another way to finish the insides.  As you can see, the serged seams still look nice:



The edges and neckline are finished with bias binding, and add the perfect weight for the kimono to hold its shape.  I wanted to make my own, but decided to go with a purchased binding instead.  If you make your own, be warned: you will need a lot...at least 4 yards, and you will use most of that yardage!!

Overall, I can see myself getting a lot of wear out of this kimono!  I get cold easily, and will love having another piece that I can layer on me while I am out and about.  

My next garment will be the Laura top!  I am gearing up for the Tops that Pop Sew-Along (with a Twist), hosted by the fabulous Faye of Faye's Sewing Adventures.  It starts April 15th and runs for two weeks. Since the Laura top is one of the easier items on my Spring wardrobe, I thought it would be a good place to start.  My goal is to finish two or three tops for the sew-along, even though there are no quotas you have to meet to be a part.  If you are interested in signing up, I would encourage you to do so!  There are some great sponsors this year AND who doesn't need some nice spring tops?


Stay sew-filled!


6 comments:

  1. I am doing Faye's sew-a-long too! I have to decide what to sew!

    I love your kimono <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have added this pattern to my list...I like the different options. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right- this really elevates the tee and jeans into something special. Very romantic looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your kimono! I’ll have to look for this pattern. It really does transform a simple outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the kimono on you. It's gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!