Tuesday, October 3, 2017

September Recap/ October Plans

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is well.  In light of all that has been happening in our country, and the recent event in Las Vegas, it feels a bit off to go on with life as usual.  Every devastation brings more grieving and pain.  With that said, my heart goes out to anyone affected by the recent tragedy, and any tragedy.  In fact, we have a family friend whose youngest sister was at the concert who was thankfully found safe after being unheard from for a few hours.  Those moments of not knowing were definitely long--and yet some families endured the waiting to hear terrible news concerning their loved ones.

As for me and my family, as darkness continues to loom, we will hold on to hope.  We will love, we will act; but most of all, we will pray.  I hope that all the brokenhearted will find comfort in the arms of our great God.  And my JOY will continue to be found in dialoguing and sharing sewing with all of you.

Here are the garments I made during September:


I am grateful for the items I finished this month because they were not intended to be my main focus.  I took the first week of the month and worked on some UFOs, and after that, finished my Astoria top.

The Astoria top by Seamwork has proved to be a quick and easy sew! While I had to adjust a few things with the top, I enjoy my Seamwork subscription because it is has been refreshing to add a nice garment to my wardrobe with relative ease.  I am also keeping my Fall wardrobe in mind, and the Astoria is the first garment I have sewn with colder weather in mind.  I am still working on something to accompany it.

Next is M6873, my son's vest.  I finally got him to sit still long enough for me to get a photo of him in his vest!  To my surprise, he doesn't bother the buttons when he has it on.  I thought for sure he would pick at them, or fuss to take it off.  Nope, not the case!  I think I may be more inclined to sew things for him in the future.  All boys need a good pair of overalls, right???

Last is M7570.  This was another super easy sew.  The tie in the back is so cute, but I am still in search of a way to wear it without "braw" straps peeking through.  It will definitely be worn next year, but I am glad to have made it.

Now, the main thing I worked on, and will continue with, is the Kelly Anorak:


I love to work on each new detail, and see the jacket slowly coming together.  I only have to add the pockets and sleeve, and I am finished with the muslin.  The hood gave me some trouble because I had a HUGE amount of ease when I pinned it to the coat, but I just took some out of each end of the facing. The whole experience feels surreal, and I have to keep reminding myself that I am getting closer and closer to my very own jacket!!

October Plans
The month of October will bring a lot of the same!  I want to finish my jacket muslin and translate it into my final garment (yay). 

I also FINALLY chose a pattern from my stash for the dress I will wear to my brother's wedding this month:









Though I have been sewing almost 100% from my stash this year (yes, I can't believe it, but it is true) I had to buy a fabric suitable for this pattern.  After spending the day at Joann Fabrics and coming up empty, I decided on a cotton sateen from Amazon.com, thru Fabric.com.  I am nervous!!!! The fabric will be here any day and I have to hit the ground running.  The wedding is less than 3 weeks away! Yikes! 


I also decided that my "quick" make from my Seamwork subscription will be the newly-released Piedra pattern.  It is already printed out! I just need to tape it together, make minor adjustments, choose my fabric, cut and sew.  I have an idea for this garment that will incorporate it into my Fall wardrobe.  Spoiler: It won't be stretch velvet, but I am loving the way the velvet looks on the model shown.

And that does it!  I have lots more swirling in my brain, but I will be focusing my efforts here.  I will check back soon with my finished muslin pics, and maybe even a sneak peek photo of my dress fabric when it gets here.  I hope you are inspired to sew something this month, even if it is only ONE thing--every garment matters!

Stay sew-filled!



3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful & romantic pattern you chose to use for your brothers wedding! Reminds me of Sewaholic's Cambie. I'm sure it'll be stunning:) I love dressing up for weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see the dress for the wedding. You had a good month! And your Kelly is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how much you get done. Your son is so cute in his vest. I love sewing for my son and he feels so special. My brain swirls the whole time with sewing stuff! I love the tie back top.. It would make a great dress too.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!