It's Friday, and I wanted to share with you how my M5894 muslin adjustments are coming along! Let me show you an updated photo, and then I will get into what I did. By the way, these photos are as cleaned up as I could get. I realize now that I needed a lot more light, and I am too lazy to re-do them. Next time will be better. Here goes:
For the front, the main goal from last time, was to decrease the rise. On the last muslin, I was swimming in fabric, and I had not even attached the waistband yet! I took out 1.5" (I pinned and sewed the excess out), and with my waistband attached, I am now looking at my pants sitting right at my belly button. I don't like it, so lower I shall go! I plan on taking another 5/8" out of the rise, and I think that will be perfect. By pinching out this additional amount on my muslin, I still have what appears to be a nice fit for the front.
My waistband is really the reason it took some time for me to get my muslin adjusted. M5894 has a straight waistband, and I really wanted one that is more contoured like Angela Wolf recommends, only because it conforms a little more to your waist. So I ended up taking the waistband from S1696, and adjusting it for his one. It worked out well, and I will use it for my final product.
Now for the back:
Overall, the muslin feels comfortable. I compared the fit to my favorite RTW jeans, and lo' and behold, I have wrinkling under my bottom in those jeans as well.
Soooooo....all things considered, I think I will be cutting into my fabric starting next week! I'm just going to make some notes about these changes, take a deep breath, and GO! I can always fine-tune as I go, and my additional fabric came in, so I should have some yardage to fall back on if all my changes don't work out.
In the meantime, I will check back in next week by Wednesday. We have a long Labor Day ahead, filled with visiting family so I plan on being busy.
Enjoy your weekend, and stay sew-filled!