Today I wanted to spend a little time talking about the back pocket design for my jeans.
When I first sat down to doodle some ideas for them, I couldn't really come up with anything special, yet I knew I had a big chance to create something unique. I tried looking at the embroidered designs on my sewing machine, but nothing jumped out at me. I also tried playing around with loops and curves. Yet somehow I didn't want to draw TOO much attention to my derriere.
So, I finally decided on an inspiration. I took the letter "V" from my name, and angled it out a little wider. I began adding two more angles to the design to come up with my final result. When I finished, I began to see a bit of familiarity in what I came up with. It is similar to this:
Here is my process for the back pockets:
For the final result, I used a bright turquoise thread on the outer portions, and a camel color on the inside. The same camel color was used for the edgestitching. It will be my topstitching thread too. Underneath each pocket is a piece of stabilizer that tears away once the design is stitched in (my denim has 3% stretch)
I still have to place the back pockets, and finish the topstitching/edgestitching along the sides, but I am happy with how everything looks so far. Somehow, it makes the idea of these pair of jeans more real.