Saturday, April 10, 2021

Sewathon Update #2

 Hello everyone!

Today I am ready to show you how I am progressing with my Spring Break Sewing, starting with days 3 and 4.  

On day 3 I started the day pumped because I had received my latest Simply Sewing magazine issue in the mail the day before.  I was not expecting it until a couple of weeks, so it was a surprise for me.  As I browsed through the included patterns, the Aisling blouse by Jennifer Lauren immediately caught my eye!  I loved the square neckline, and the loose "blouson" sleeves pictured in the photo on the pattern cover:

Once I saw it had bust cup sizes,  I decided that I just had to make it! I downloaded the A cup pattern front, and cut out the additional pieces from the paper pattern.  I chose a size 8 according to the finished garment measurements, and the fit was right on.  I did my usual adjustments, and sewed this in a floral print from Fine Fabrics.


I really love this soft print with the angular neckline.  I want to make a dozen more of these, LOL!  This fabric is light enough that I can wear it for a couple more weeks, but I will have to adjust the sleeve length for future versions because GA gets hot fast.
 

Here it is once I applied the sleeves on.  The bottom portion of the sleeve has an elasticated cuff that creates such a pretty effect.  You simply sew a casing, leave a small gap, insert your appropriate size elastic, and stitch the gap closed.  So lovely!


Since I made this top instead of the Ottobre one I originally planned for, I will put the Ottobre one on hold for now.  I may revisit it later this month after I finish the Burda trousers.

I finished day 3 feeling pretty good, and ended up getting a Covid vaccine that evening.  On day 4, I did not feel like myself.  My arm was sore, and my body was aching.  I pushed through the day, but took a lot of physical and mental breaks. I was determined to make the most of my time, yet it was tough.

I pulled out Mccalls 8067 and began to assemble it.  I sewed a size 12 in a striped rayon challis fabric from Denver Fabrics.  

I decided to add the bust pockets for this version.  I tend to forgo them on most of my garments, but thought they looked nice here.  Then again, maybe my decision came from my state of mind that day.  

Here is the nearly finished result:


I still have the hem left to do, and three 5/8" buttons to apply--of which I have none.  I searched my stash, but could only find smaller sizes.  I will have to make it back to Hobby Lobby or Joanns to find something appropriate.  But overall, I really like it so far!


I thought the side slit was a cute feature, and could definitely see this top as a wardrobe staple!  By the end of day 4 I was beginning to recover from the vaccine symptoms and get my bearings a bit.  

For the rest of the days I will be working on the Burda trousers.  I got a chance to trace the pattern pieces (8), apply seam allowances, and cut out my fabric.  I did some comparison to my Ginger jeans pattern, and while Burda is off in a few places, I will be taking a huge risk by moving foward without a muslin.  I hope any fit issues that arise can be solved by the seaming present on the pants.

I will be back in a couple of days to let you see the progress made on my trousers (fingers crossed).  

Stay sew filled!







6 comments:

  1. I love both tops! ITS one is gorgeous with the stripes and I love the pockets. You are making a lot of progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda! The one in stripes is McCall’s, and it is such a nice pattern! I am amazed at the progress I have made, and know I will go back to a much slower pace when work starts on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love these tops! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the striped top, especially with the pockets cut on the crossgrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just loving working with stripes and using different orientations!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!