Friday, March 19, 2021

Spring Sewing Plans

 Hello everyone!

I am back and ready to share some Spring sewing plans, along with a fabric haul with you!  The weather here has been waffling back and forth from temps of the low 50s to mid 70s, but I think the time is right to start planning and executing some Spring sewing.  

In fact, I spent this past weekend fabric shopping with my best friend!  She drove in from North Carolina and we proceeded to Fine Fabrics with our masks in tow.  Once we got there we found out the entire store was 30% off due to a staff member's birthday!  We could not believe our luck!  So, we spent a good one and a half hours at the store going up and down the aisles, perusing the wares, and making our choices.  I didn't even spend $35!!!! Actually, looking back, I wish I would have gotten a few more pieces.  But...I had already ordered from Denver Fabrics so I decided to buy what I could reasonably sew, lol!

Once I got home I got the idea of pulling all my Spring/Summer fabrics and setting them aside so I can see what I want to sew each day.  I think that having them visually before me will help me to choose patterns for everything and get it sewn up.  Here is what I "think" I can reasonably sew (I may have still overestimated a bit):

As you can see, I have tried to choose a variety of colorways! I am loving tones of red, purple, blue, green, and yellow.  I will still need to get some more bottomweights at some point, yet I am happy with this to start with!  Here are a few of my favorites:

All of these fabrics are either rayon challis from Denver Fabrics, or a rayon blend from Fine Fabrics.  At Fine Fabrics, the only downside is that fabrics are not labeled.  I think there is a lot of polyester blended with what they sell, so I would have to do some further investigation (burn test, etc.) in order to have a better idea of the content.  However, I will say that everything I got from Fine was drapey and appropriate for sewing flowy Spring tops!

For the shirt, I have my eye on Mccalls 8067:


I just love View A!!! It reminds me of the Colette Aster, which I did try at one point.  However, I had so many fitting issues with that top I ended up pitching the whole garment.  I hope this pattern doesn't disappoint.  I also love View C, and see View D has the potential to lead right into Fall. 

This next fabric I picked up from Joann Fabrics, and it is something I am not usually drawn to.  But when I saw the colors and the print I just went gaga, lol!  


I am thinking of using a pattern I received FREE in one of my issues of Simply Sewing magazine:


It is called the Verna Top, and is a loose-fitting top with tie sleeves.  I may have to make a muslin first because I have never sewn from this company before and I REALLY like this fabric and don't want to chance a bad fit.


Now these two I am not sure what I will do with!  I just love animal prints, and want to use them in some way.  One is an ITY knit (on top) and the other is a double brushed poly.  I have been perusing the latest issue of Ottobre Design Woman, and have been DELIGHTED to see quite a few patterns I would love to make:


There are at least SIX (maybe seven with the shift dress) patterns that I am eager to try.  I love the basic top with flutter sleeves, the square neckline top (oh yeah), the button front with the longer back hem, the jacket, the top with side ties, and the MAXI DRESS!  I didn't care for the modeled photos, but I am lovin' all of the line drawings!!!!!!!!!!!  I am hopeful that a lot of these designs will be TNTs.

I am still working on my plan for bottoms.  I wear jeans a lot, even throughout summer.  I don't know if I want to experiment with different pant lengths and designs, or if I want to try other fabrics.  I do imagine I will sew another pair of Ginger jeans though, lol! But, I am open to other silhouettes to go with some of the things I am sewing up.


The last thing I will share with you is my interest in joining the #frugalfrocks 2021 challenge.  I have been seeing so many plans videos about this challenge, and wasn't sure if I would have the time to devote to it.  Well, I am going to give it a go!  The challenge is hosted by @frugalisama and @theyorkshiresewgirl on IG, and there are three simple rules: 

1. Sew a Dress from a free pattern
2. Choose a fabric from your stash
3. Reveal your creation on IG on March 31st and tag the appropriate hosts.

You can visit the link HERE for more information if you are interested in joining.  I really want to use the navy polka dot knit and am considering the Orla:



Whew! That's a whole lot of plans! There are days I wish I could average 3-4 garments a week just so I could finish all I want to sew in about a month and a half.  But of course that is just a wonderful dream! For now I will happily sew through all my new lovelies in hopes of uncovering more of my Spring wardrobe for 2021!

Stay sew filled!














4 comments:

  1. I went to look up the challenge - she's @frugalisama FYI!!

    You know how I love sewing plans and I adore your spring picks. Better to "over plan" and have a pile of fun fabrics and patterns you can pluck from for your next sew.

    How AWESOME that you two were able to get together and fabric shop...and lucked up on a great sale. Incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the correction! I updated the info in this post.

    I agree with overplanning, and always end up with lots of ideas.

    Yes, sewing friends are always the best! And fabric shopping together is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!