Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Itch to Stitch Seychelles Top

 Hello everyone!

Today I am back with a top that I have a feeling will show up in more of my Spring wardrobe sewing!  It's the Itch to Stitch Seychelles:

I have been looking for a top like this--something I consider dressy casual, and a perfect fit for my job as a preschool teacher.  The pattern comes in two versions, long and short sleeve, with different construction techniques for each sleeve type. The long sleeve has a gathered sleeve cap portion while the short sleeve has pleats.  I chose the long sleeve because I am broad shouldered, and always a little hesitant about doing anything extra around my shoulders.  If I don't have to emphasize them, I won't, lol!  However, after I finished this version, saw other testers' short sleeved versions, and started experiencing warmer temperatures here in GA, I became convinced that I would give short sleeves a go. I think a drapier fabric like a rayon may create an effect more to my liking, and am working on one now.

The good news is that this pattern is created with broad and narrow shouldered people in mind.  The pattern description reads as follows:

"The Seychelles is a versatile top sewing pattern that can be made with structured or soft woven fabric.  With one short sleeve option and one long sleeve option, the Seychelles is perfect for transitional weather.  The combination of narrow shoulders and extra sleeve cap ease creates a balanced, pleasing look whether you have broad or narrow shoulders."

This pattern debuts today for a discounted price, and you can get more information here.


In terms of construction, I sewed a size 4 with an A cup.  I added 1 inch for length and moved the bust dart down 1/2".  The fabric is a crinkle rayon from Joann Fabric.  I found it while perusing the aisles one day, and thought it was so captivating.  I know that rayon can be a challenge to work with, but this fabric sewed beautifully, and I didn't even use a walking foot!  

My favorite feature on the blouse is the cuff with button and button loop.  I had some 1/2" buttons in my stash that had a little pizazz, and they complemented the rayon print so well.  The instructions for the creation of the button loop, and assembly of the cuff was very easy to follow.  I truly enjoy sewing ITS patterns for that reason.  


For the V-neck front, there is a well drafted facing.  If you know me at all, then let me say that I am not a fan of facings.  I just find they do not sit how I want them to.  This facing is not like that.  Once you interface and attach the facing right sides together, you stitch it and turn it to the wrong side of the top.  Kennis then has you clip to the seam line AND understitch the facing.  It lays so beautifully after these two steps.  I was so impressed!  I guess I am always impressed when something exceeds my expectations in a good way.  I am sure I will practice this method on any facings from now on.  I was already understitching, but the spacing of the clips allowed everything to lay better.  If you already do this, then you absolutely know!

Overall, this is a great wardrobe staple!  I am going to include it on my "to-sew" list in the short sleeve version.  It is a top that can be styled in so many ways, and would even look great sleeveless.  If you like a more structured look to the pleats or gathers on the sleeves you could use linen, lawn, poplin, or even sateen as an option.  Again, that is the beautiful part of sewing--you can create the look you want! For more views of some of the testers' versions, see here.

I hope to be back soon with some more Spring Sewing progress!  

Stay sew filled!





8 comments:

  1. I love how nicely that neckline lays and I like that it the top has option for pleated shoulders. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your version is the fourth one I have seen recently. I like the long sleeve look. Pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am partial to the long sleeves as well. This is such a good wardrobe filler!

      Delete
  3. I love your top and fabric print, Vanessa. So pretty ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hana! I have enjoyed wearing it!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!