Monday, March 25, 2019

Mccalls 7313 Two Ways

Hello everyone!

I meant to check in a few days ago, but I wasn't feeling the best, so I ended up dragging my feet a little on getting blog photos done.  Though I LOVE working with young children, between my toddler class and my own children, I end up taking a lot of Vitamin C to keep healthy.  That, and good old-fashioned handwashing, of course!  Anyhow, I am feeling better and I ready to show you my finished Mccalls 7313 dresses!

Today is another two for one!
Here is the first version:


This is View E in a size 10 graded to 12.  It is made from a recently purchased jersey from Fine Fabrics, and I love it!  Everything about this fabric lends very well to this pattern.  It has nice drape, a bit of weight to it, and is not translucent.  I was able to serge this dress together in about an hour, and I love the cap sleeve--it is my first attempt to get Spring ready!

Another nice feature of this pattern is the hidden elastic at the waist.  You form a casing to insert the elastic, and it adds an ever so slight amount of cinching.  

To finish off the hem, sleeves, and neckline, I decided to use the newest addition to my sewing space--my Juki MCS-1500 Coverstitch machine!  Yes, I have moved into the world of coverstitching, and I am so very glad to do it.  I got my machine around a month ago so that I could achieve more professional-looking hems on the knits I sew.  I unboxed it right away, read a bit of the manual, then set aside a day to watch videos and tinker with threading and using it.

I had researched lots of machines, and as soon as I read that the Juki MCS-1500 was a dupe of the Bernina L220 model, I was intrigued enough to buy one.  So far I have been nothing but pleased with my choice!!  It sews like butter, and though my initial investment to learn the machine was great (three hours), I feel very comfortable using it now, and have even switched out the thread (it's easy).  





Here is my second version:



Now this fabric is one I purchased from Fabricmart Fabrics roughly a month ago.  It is a double brushed poly and, while I like the dress, it is clingy.  I made this version exactly the same way as my first dress, but you can definitely tell this fabric has much more fluidity to it.  Even though I let out the waist elastic more than the first version, I am still getting some gathering where I have none with the other fabric.  

I think I will probably wear a jacket or cardigan with this version.  It is not an absolute love for me, but I do like the color, and I can always use it with other items I already have.


Overall, this is a wonderful pattern, especially for beginners!! There are SO many different variations to choose from, and  you can mix and match the sleeves and necklines to create the dress you want.  As for me, I am happy to add two dresses to my Spring wardrobe!

Starting this week I will be turning my attention to the Sew Your View Mccalls 7906.  Can you believe I haven't even started it yet?  I hope it is a quick sew, since March is almost over...  I will check back in at the end of the week and let you know how things are going.

Stay sew filled!


5 comments:

  1. So cute! They look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color IS fabulous! The fabric does look quite drapey and fluid which is nice...but clingy can be annoying.

    They both look FANTASTIC on you! I love the neckline and the skirt volume and length...just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The length is one of my favorite things too!

      Delete
  3. แทงบอลออนไลน์ที่ดีที่สุด และเป็นที่นิยมมาเป็นอันดับหนึ่งของคนทั่วโลก สมัครแทงบอลถือได้ว่าเป็นการเดิมพันที่มีความสนุกและสามารถลุ้นรับเงินรางวัลได้ตามความอีกด้วย

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!