Friday, February 1, 2019

Sew Day with Friends

Hello everyone!

Last weekend I had the pleasure of getting together with a couple of friends for our first Sewing Sewcial of 2019.  It was wonderful, as always!  We usually get together early on a Saturday morning, and sew until early afternoon.  It is about five hours of food, sewing, and fun, and I can't wait until our next sew day in March.  

Today I wanted to share with you some of the things we all made!


This is one of my friends, Keiva.  She just learned to sew last year, and has been making so many wonderful things.  Since she loves Indie patterns, she worked on the Peg legs from P4P.  Her original intention was to batch sew as many of them as possible, but got a little slowed down by the cutting out process.

Still, she created two lovely pairs of leggings--the pink floral ones she has on, and the maroon floral one pictured here:



Both pairs came out lovely, and the fit is so great!  P4P has a contour waistband add-on, and that is the one Keiva used.  I have known her for close to nine years, so it comes as no surprise that she now wears her adorable handmade leggings instead of pajama bottoms.  

  
This is my neighbor Toni.  She has been sewing for years, and does embroidery, along with other crafts.  For this day, she was making matching tops for her and her youngest daughter to wear.  If you look to the far left, you can see that  the most beautiful sage green floral fabric that she found at Hobby Lobby.  I think it was a design from P4P too.

Here she is with the finished top:


The back has a really nice crossover, and I have no idea why I didn't get a photo of it.  She finished both tops in our sewing time, while chatting and eating too!  She is definitely our speedy seamstress of the bunch!

Speaking of food, we always try to bring in a few things to snack on as we are sewing away.  That day we brought these treats:



Most of the choices are fairly healthy.  There is fruit, iced coffee, granola bars, and the most amazing gluten free sugar cookies by Sweet Loren's (bakeable cookies from the grocery store).  I decided to sit next to the snacks this time, and I promise that slowed down my productivity, lol!


I finished another Sewaholic Renfrew in a blue French terry knit, and I just love it!  I ended up wearing it soon after I made it, and I have officially moved this pattern to "my favorite of all time."  Out of all the views I have made, the cowl neck version hits a homerun.  However, I don't think I have done the short-sleeved version yet, so I will have to make that style this year and let you know if the title still holds.  If you haven't made it, they still sell it here, and on Etsy.


After finishing my top, I got about halfway through Simplicity 8790 that I mentioned a few weeks ago:



You can't see the hood from the photo, but it is the hooded version.  So far I like the direction it is going in!

Also, though I ran out of month, I am thisclose to finishing my Moto jacket!! I admit I was stalled on it for a week or two as I was figuring out what to do on the fit.  However, I finally found a wonderful solution that I am happy with!  

Overall, our sew day gave me the encouragement I needed to find my sewjo again.  

You just can't beat sewing friends!  

Stay sew filled!



18 comments:

  1. Wow, how lovely to sew with friends that must be so much fun. Great projects too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day! I love the colour of your new top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is such a pretty bluish gray, and a great neutral.

      Delete
  3. looks like a fun, productive day! Sewing with friends is also so motivating :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ms. Patty! I love the motivation, and seeing what everyone else enjoys making too.

      Delete
  4. Love the cowl version of the Renfrew! I've sewn it at least five times and it's still a go-to in my wardrobe. Yours looks like the perfect comfy top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha! I believe you understand my obsession with the cowl version then, lol!

      Delete
  5. This was a super productive day for everyone! Nice work all around, and I can see why the Renfrew is a TNT for you - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great time! I love when I'm sewing around other sewists. It really gets my sewjo moving and I love the conversations. So glad you had a great time with your sewing friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't sewing with friends THE BEST!!! Everyone looks fantastic in their new garments and I love your new sweaters!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so fun! I'm thinking of trying to organize something like this in my area - where do you guys get together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I hope you go for it!! Thankfully, my husband and I own our own business, and he lets us use the space for our get togethers. Sometimes the library is willing to host you if it is something open to the community as well. Best wishes to you!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!