Friday, February 22, 2019

M7912 Progress

Hello everyone!

Today I am reminded that February is indeed a short month!  I wanted to post finished photos of my M7912 vest, but I still have a few more steps to work out.  Instead, I thought I would show you my progress so far:


Right off the bat, I really like this pattern!  The shawl collar is so pretty, and I love the look of the pockets and the sleeveless vest option.  Here is a reminder of the line drawing:
The fabric I used provides some weight to the design, and makes the vest seem more jacket-like.  I am not sure of the content, only that there is a basket weave pattern on it.  I got it from a wovens mystery box, and while I originally thought it would marry well with this pattern, I have found some of the areas around the facing and collar to have significant bulkiness in spite of cutting down the seams and grading them.  Perhaps I should have left out the interfacing??

Anyhow, I will use what I have and make it all work!  I am definitely leaping out of my comfort zone with this project.  Within the past year I have been purposely choosing woven garments so that I could get more familiar with them.   Since I have had trouble finding well-fitted woven garments in retail stores in the past, I have stayed away from them in my sewing.  Dare I say I am beginning to grow a little love for woven items?  I mean, I don't think it will surpass my dedication to knit fabric, but I am starting to see a place for all kinds of textiles.  


My plan is to work through the weekend finishing up the hem, and making the tie belt--which I also scraped fabric together to make (whew).  I am hoping it will all work out beautifully and I will be back early next week with photos for you.  

See you soon!

Stay sew filled!

10 comments:

  1. This is looking good Vanessa! For years I only sewed wovens; then I kept trying knit fabrics and love how easy it is to sew them. I need to get back to sewing wovens again as what I see in RTW do not meet my expectations either. Look forward to seeing this on ou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I admit I had given wovens a bad wrap for a little bit. They are starting to grow on me now that I can make wovens that fit, lol!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is looking very nice indeed. The colour is really gorgeous. Can't wait to see the finished vest. Sofie www.sewdarntired.blogspot.com. Sorry still can't comment so using anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so hope you see how much you've stretched yourself recently!!! This is really looking fantastic!! I can't wait to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely feel the stretching, lol! It is finished, and I hope to post an update soon!

      Delete
  4. Pretty vest, can't wait to see it on you Vanessa. I am refashioning my coat into a vest too, still missing to sew the patch pockets and hem 😊💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fabulous Hana! I am sure it will look great when you are finished.

      Delete
  5. Your vest is so chic. I love the way you styled it with stripes. Black, white, and beige are such a great combination.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!