Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fall Wardrobe Planning

Hello everyone!

I know that there are a lot of you who are still in "summer mode," and are not even THINKING about fall wardrobe planning.  Usually, I would be right there with you.  I am the last one to commit to season changes because I enjoy living my days out one at a time.  But...I have been bitten by the fall wardrobe planning bug!  I have been infected with thoughts of color palettes, pattern choices, and wardrobe necessities.  In fact, in my mind, I am going to create the most fabulous fall wardrobe ever!

Actually, here in Georgia, we will probably have warm weather until October, and I have enough summer items to get me through.  I may add an item here or there in the time being, but I am shifting my focus to using the months of August, September, and early October to start sewing for Fall.

This brings me back to my original plan when I joined the RTW fast.  I wanted to sew items from each of these categories:

  • Button Down Shirts
  • Stylish Tees
  • Tunics
  • Blouses
  • Blazers
  • Little Black Dress
  • Daydress
  • Sweaters
  • Bootcut Jeans
  • Skinny Jeans
  • Wrap Shirt
  • Cardigan
If I take a hard look at my progress, I am more than halfway through the year, and I have really only sewn for one category--stylish tees.  It's gonna take some focus, and hard work, but I believe that there is still enough time left in the year for my to recover well.

So for my Fall Wardrobe planning, I will be incorporating the categories I have neglected.  I have already chosen a basic color scheme:


I am wanting to go for a more classic theme (hence the black, white, and cream).  I added the red and purple for a pop of color.  My main goal is to create timeless pieces that will form a good foundation for days to come.  For jeans, I will be going with a dark wash.  This obviously doesn't fit into my color scheme, but it is a great neutral.

I will be creating a storyboard for each of these categories so I can stay on track come August. Here are my choices for Stylish Tees (my most sewn category):


I have already sewn Burda 6910 and Vogue 8536.  With Burda 6910, I had issues with the neckline, but I really think I could fix it, and get it to fit well if I worked with it.  So I will be re-visiting this one, hopefully with a victory in the end.  Vogue 8536 is a favorite of mine, and I would really like to try the crossover version with long sleeves.  The rest will all be new to me.  I am most nervous about Simplicity 1463 because it has that batwing-like style for the top.  It will either look great, or horrible, but I am really drawn to the style, so I want to give it a try.

How many tops does one really need?

I'm not sure how to answer that question.  I guess I will see as I move along.  I know I should at the very least start out with seven.

I'm working on putting the rest of my storyboards together, and will show you those in the next couple of days.  I realize that I love planning!  I know it's only the first part, and you do have to put the plan in action, but I love declaring vision.

Now that I have chosen my Fall colors, I will be on the lookout for fabric choices that fit into the color scheme.  Hmmm...I might unofficially add navy into the mix.

Stay sew-filled!

9 comments:

  1. I may have been bitten by the cool weather sewing bug, too. I'm trying so hard to not over-focus on it but I can't help it. I've been dreaming about sewing fall and winter coats. And I didn't realize you are in GA... my inlaws are in North GA where I visit a lot. Do you know any secret awesome fabric shops if you are in that general area, too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this post excites me so much,seeing that I'm starting to plan for fall myself. I may have to borrow what you've done here with your vision board..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your board is beautiful and much more appealing than what I've done. In January, I went through my fabrics, matched fabric/patterns, and recorded them for each month. This is when I realized that I have enough fabric for 3-5 years and haven't stopped viewing the online sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe that summer is winding down. You have some wonderful ideas and great colors. Cannot wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me laugh because I am right there with you! I'm making one more skirt and then I'm switching to fall and winter sewing. I like your layout. I've got lots of ideas in my head and I need to write them down to stay focused. Www.coletterie.com did a Wardrobe Architect series about color schemes and garment planning

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel. I have some cardigans and knits I never sewed up this past winter, and I've been wanting to make them even though It's too warm in Atlanta. But I still have a long list of warm weather things to sew too! Your planning board looks good so far, and planning this far ahead will probably ensure it'll all get done before fall ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waaaaah. Not fall sewing! We just got out of the Arctic tundra! Actually, this is a great idea. I need to start making some fall garments as well. Your plan looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your vision board. I need to do the same; it will help me fill some gaps in my wardrobe. I love Vogue 8536 too.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!