I don't have any BEFORE photos to show you, but I can give you an idea of how it looked--a mess!! My sewing desk had scraps of fabric and thread thrown all about the place, and there was no order. The clothes in my closet was also in piles--some on the floor, and some on my portable table. So most of the photos I am showing you is a combination of organization, mixed with a few touches of my own.
And, here it is:
This is my new side of the closet! Once I got everything in order, it was amazing how much space I discovered I really had!!
This was what I ended up doing to organize my fabric stash:
One thing I found frustrating when it came to my fabric stash, is the fact that I could never remember what the fiber content was. In order to provide a solution for this problem, I used label stickers, wrote the appropriate fabric type on it, and affixed it to each piece.
How I organized my knitting materials:
This part was easy. I had an old wicker basket I had not used in a while. I took it, laid some fabric from my stash in it, and put all my knitting needles and yarn inside. I tucked this under my table to the left so it is out of the way until I need to use it.
Notions, notions, notions:
As you can see from above, I used my sewing desk cubbies to store all of my notions. Before, I had them strewn about, but after labeling the slots and putting everything in its place, it has helped me to see what I have an abundance of, and what I could stand to buy more of.
Here is a shot of my side of the closet. I use the top shelf for my mini sewing board, iron, batting, fabric fat quarters, and sewing pattern binder. It all looks so pretty and neat!!
Of course my little one had to sneak in and take a photo too!
One of my favorite parts of the whole "room" is the wall accent I placed above my fabric stash. I bought these on sale at Hobby Lobby for $10, and it adds an element of whimsy cuteness. I also hung a little pink photo frame with a piece of fabric in it to keep with the floral theme.
I also found a great place to put all my sewing materials! There is a little nook under my sewing desk that has just enough space (while still giving me ample leg room) to fit my growing library. It is handy because I can pull one out when I need it, and not be far from my sewing machine and serger.
My most daunting task was organizing my patterns. This is how I decided to do it:
I had a huge binder left over from nursing school, and I decided I could repurpose it as a holder of my sewing patterns. Now all of my pattern envelopes are stored categorically, each in its own page protector. I put the pattern instructions and pieces in gallon size ziplock bags, with the outside of the bag labeled with the corresponding pattern number. Finally, I filed all my plastic bags away in a plastic bin, in numerical order by pattern company. It is much like the filing system you see at the store, and it has made things much easier for me. However, I realize I will need to get more plastic bins already, because mine is almost full!!
From start to finish, I think it has taken me about a month to do this project, but I am super pleased with it. It is such a welcoming space, and I feel more inspired to go in there now. The best part of this whole makeover is it did not break our budget! I used items we had around the house, and all the fabric came from my fabric stash. The only things I bought were the plastic gallon bags for 2.99, and the wall accents for $10. So for less than $15 I am sooooo, soooo happy with the end result!
By doing this mini-makeover, I have learned that I can take this same thriftiness and transform other areas of our home--and this is exactly what I intend to do!!
PS...My husband will be hanging a full length mirror on the back of our closet door to add the final finishing touch. That way, I can sew away, and not have to come out for a while if I don't want to!