Sunday, June 5, 2011

Baby shower gift

I am glad to say that my bestie's baby shower is now over!  It was nice to plan her shower, and put all the finishing touches together, but there is something to be said when all is said and done, and the results are successful!  I am sitting here at almost midnight on a Saturday night to report that all was successful!

I don't have any pictures of the shower to show you, but the colors were green, white, and brown.  My bestie has not decorated the nursery yet, but those are her nursery colors, and she is sticking to a safari theme.  There were about 20 guests and we had a lot of FUN!  Right now, I am exhausted, but in the best way.

So the real reason I am writing is to show you what I ended up sewing for the shower.  As you know from my last post, I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to even sew anything because I couldn't find the fabric I wanted.  Well, I decided to check out another Joann's in my area, and I found some great cotton interlock fabric in green and brown with monkeys on it.

Since it was the middle of the week when I found the fabric, I changed my game plan a little bit.  I decided to make this top from Ottobre Fall 2010:


And here is what I came up with:


I am still loving Ottobre!!!  I really didn't have any issues with sewing this top.  It was quite simple.  My only qualm was the way the neckline binding was attached.  The sleeves were attached to the front panel, and one side of the back panel was attached.  Then, the neckline binding was attached, and enclosed when the last sleeve was sewn to the final side of the back panel.

  I never do well with binding, and I didn't like this method so much because you then have to sew the seam allowances on the left side down (where the binding comes together).  If I make this top again, and I plan on making a couple more for her, I am going to experiment with a different technique.

The pants I chose are the jogging pants from Kwik Sew's Sewing for Baby:



Both the top and bottom are size 3-6 months.  And while sewing this I decided to put a little tag of fabric in each garment so that my bestie would be able to tell the back from the front.  Usually, I don't do this, but I was very conscious of everything looking great since it was an item I wanted my bestie to love.


The whole outfit took me about four hours to sew.  I couldn't find my twin needle, so I mixed using my serger, and my sewing machine's stretch stitch in order to still get a good result.  Overall, I am happy with the outfit.  My bestie LOVED it, but she usually loves anything I sew (she is that supportive).  I am glad she thinks it's cute, but I think it will be even cuter when I get to see her little man wearing it!

All in all, it has been a great day!  I hope you are all enjoying your weekend, and accomplishing what you want.  As for me, it felt good to sit and sew.  I think I may even be ready to start jumping back into my other projects.

Stay sew-filled!

3 comments:

  1. Such an adorable and heartfelt gift you've made there. I like how you centered a monkey on the tags. Clever and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable Vanessa! Seeing this almost makes me want another one lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute, Vanessa!! And you're right, baby clothes always look even cuter when they are on a baby :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!