Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Planning Ahead

It felt really good to get my first garment in the Tim Gunn Sew Along completed.  Beyond that, I am elated because I am moving on from sewing skirts for a little while!!  So next on my list is the "Sweatsuit Alternative."  I think this one is great to do because I will be putting together my first outfit.  Of all the items I have sewn, I noticed that none of them go together; however, this outfit will be different.  It will be comfy, stylish, and coordinated at the same time!

Here is a feel for what I came up with:


I ordered all of the fabric from fabric.com, and I am super pleased!  The striped fabric in the middle right and the red fabric seen beneath that are both jersey knits.  I had a hard time deciding on which fabric to use for the trim, but in the end, the red won out over my original thought of orange.  Being able to visualize the top more clearly with my fabric choices in place also helped me out a bit too.  My only change to this top will be to leave off the pockets.  I just want a clean, simple, easy-breezy top.

The blue fabric on the top right is a faux denim knit.  I think it will give the leggings a nice denim look without being denim--a jegging if you will.

My own experience with jeggings (or even leggings) has been very limited until last weekend when me and a couple of my girlfriends went out shopping.  We went to H&M and I ended up walking out of the store with a pair of cropped leggings.  Now, I haven't worn them just yet, but everything I tried them on with in the store was an instant love!  Also, because I like to wear a lot of tunics, I felt so comfortable and stylish at the same time.  Who knew?  I had my own reservations about leggings because I am so used to having worn them when I went to workout, but I do not once think about going to workout when I have these pair of leggings on, and I think that is a good thing!

For the jeggings, I am debating an elastic waistband.  The design above uses twill tape for a drawstring closure, but I am just not a fan of that.  I think the elastic waist is a cleaner fix, and will not add any bulges underneath the top when I wear it.  So I am not sure what I will decide about that.  It would be a little more helpful if Patternreview had any takers for this pattern, but as of yet, this pattern is not even listed.  Oh well, I will surge ahead!

Stay sew-filled!

6 comments:

  1. This pattern is on my list of summer items to sew. I like your choice of fabric and the colors. Cant wait to see your outfit when its done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors you have chosen for this outfit. I can't wait to see it all come together! I don't have this pattern, but I think I need to get it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try the leggings again this weekend--will keep you posted! and maybe even write a pattern review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Kyle! I hope we both make great pairs of leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your outfit is going to be lovely - this pattern looks great and I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Vanessa, I tried the leggings again--wrote about them on my blog--it was my second attempt--third time should be the charm!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!