Monday, October 25, 2010

Fat Quarter Project!

I usually like to "announce" the next project I am working on in the side bar to the right, however, I have found myself a bit lazy for these last couple of weeks.  This week I am motivated to not let the lazy bug get the best of me!

I decided to show you a piece (or pieces) of what I am working on, and let you think about what it might be.  The only hint I will give you is that this project uses ALL fat quarters.  In case you are wondering what a fat quarter is, it is a pre-cut piece of fabric that measures roughly 18 x 22 inches.

This is what my project looks like so far...




Any ideas?


For each of these pieces (and I have many more to sew) I used a technique called chainstitching.  It is a quicker way to sew when you are repeating the same action over and over, and it saves thread.  Here is what the chainstitch looks like:


You basically sew the piece you are working on, DO NOT backstitch, pick up your presser foot and make sure your needle is up, then continue on to your next piece.  I know the thread is a little hard to see in the picture above, but you end up having all of your pieces connected when you are done.

I still have to turn these pieces right side out and topstitch.

As a side note, I learned that my sewing machine has a needle down feature!  I found it by mistake since I have been sewing these pieces up one after another.  I pressed my needle up/down button, and when I began sewing, it would go back to needle down position even when I removed my foot from the pedal.  How beautiful! 

Because I am sewing so many curves, I can adjust position without having to mess with my handwheel!  Though I must say, I usually try to manage with adjusting too much, but it is nice to find this out!

Stay sew-filled!

3 comments:

  1. I'm stumped, maybe ears on halloween costumes, or petals on a flower? I love the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...they look like petals for a flower. I want to see what you do with these pieces!

    Found you from a nice comment you left on patternreview. And I am glad you did because your blog is so creative and fun.

    In your post below you have the Stitch by Stitch book - the author owns Whipstitch Fabrics in Midtown - you can have her sign your book and she is SO nice!

    Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Janimal!

    I am glad you joined, and thank you for your kind words. I will be done with my next project soon, so I hope it is worth the wait...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!