Sunday, October 10, 2010

Creative ability

I am sure that most of you are not surprised that I titled this blog post "Creative Ability."  In essence, that is what sewing is!  It is being able to look at something, see something else in your mind, and then create it! Voila! That's creative ability!  And the great thing is that no matter who you are, or where you come from, you possess a certain ability to be creative (some more than others).

This is another reason I  LOVE TO SEW!


Lately I have been challenging myself to do more with what I already have.  So I looked into my closet full of clothes, and asked myself "What can be re-used, re-purposed, or re-fashioned?"

Well, after having had two babies, I still have a section in my closet filled with maternity shirts.  Since we are not planning on having any more kids any time soon, I decided I could at least transform some of these shirts.  My inspiration came from Ashley at Make it and Love it, who has a whole section devoted to re-purposing clothing.

I ended up taking this lovely red cotton knit shirt:

 BEFORE

And turning it into a shirt for my little princess:

AFTER


For the most part, I followed the directions on Ashley's blog.  However, I had issues with using the original neckline from the shirt because my daughter is still a toddler, and the sizing is for girls'.  If I had been able to keep the original neckline intact, I think the end result would have been a little more pleasing.  

The neckline I created (and I do mean CREATED) used binding from the same polka dotted fabric I used for the slightly gathered ruffle on the bottom of the shirt.  I also shaped and attached the sleeves myself, and added the decorative trim in the top middle of the shirt.

Whew!

Though it was some work for me, the whole time I worked on this shirt, I felt so free!  I think that freedom came from not following a pattern or instructions, but just following my instinct!  Granted, I still like to follow laid out instructions, but this change was refreshing for me.

Here are some more pics of my silly girl:



So, my hope is that you awaken your own creative ability, and do something you never thought you would do before!  And in return, I hope you love it just as much as I did!

Stay sew-filled!

7 comments:

  1. Your daughter looks adorable in her re-styled shirt. You did a fab job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that shirt is so pretty - your little princess looks super-cute in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, I love the trim print with the red and your little girl is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! And your little princess is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ik, the shirt is cute--good job. But that kid! Now that is really cute and what about that pose? Do I see dance lessons in the future? Also, thanks for the comments on my blog while I have been sick--it was really nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, I really can't focus on the shirt because I'm too busy cooing over your ADORABLE daughter!! How do you even stand the cuteness?!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!