Wednesday, July 8, 2020

June Recap and July Plans

Hello everyone!

Welcome to July!

I am just getting back from a getaway to the Georgia mountains, and I have missed you all! We got away to celebrate my 40th birthday, and with all that has been going on in the world, I am so extremely grateful that we did!! The mountains were peaceful, and the whole trip ended up being a wonderful way to connect as a family.  

Now that we are back I have turned my attention to sewing again.  I finished June with three tops:



The Rhapsody blouse is one I am enamored with! I can't wait to make more versions of it, maybe even a few in a solid color.  I think it will be perfect for when I return to work (hopefully) in the Fall.  I could easily wear a cardigan for an extra layer of warmth, and still look dressy casual.

S2369 is another shirt I wore for my trip out of town.  I am proud of myself with this one because I learned something new! I originally bought this pattern in a larger size range,and needed to make it in a 14.  At the time of my purchase I had just had my daughter, and the size range went well with my measurements.  Years later, sizing down was necessary for a better fit.  

While I have a Bluprint (out of business, yet maybe coming back) class for this, I can't access it for the time being.  So, I did some searching and found a wonderful tutorial here on a simple process.  To my surprise, it worked!  I sized down the pattern, and it fits beautifully!  The back piece has a built-in swayback, and it fit me so nicely.  I am going to work on back fit for future garments now that I saw this improvement. For fabric I used a brushed poly, but I think it would look oh-so-gorgeous in an ITY knit too.  I will plan one for a future version. 

My markings as I sized down two sizes

Now that I know how to grade patterns down, I plan on resizing some other patterns I own too.  I have a few that I just purchased the wrong size in, and that was mostly due to user error.  I was a beginning sewist at the time, and sometimes I didn't pay much attention to the sizing, only the pattern envelope photo, lol!  I have found that adjusting the pattern pieces while watching TV at night makes the process go quicker, and allows me be ready for the cutting phase.

For my birthday, I chose to wear my beloved Kalle shirt in stripes!  It is such an effortless style, and I have just always enjoyed a good striped garment.


Overall I am happy with my Summer productivity so far.  Though I made three pieces, those pieces are getting worn frquently.  At the beginning of the year that was my goal--creating wearable pieces that blend well with my existing wardrobe.

For July I plan on working on an entire look.  I want something that I can wear together right off the bat--top, bottom, and/or layering pieces (which can always transition into Fall).  I have narrowed it down to these choices: 




I have already started working on a few ideas, and hope to have something to show you soon.  

I am also working on another jacket from my Make Nine.  It has been slow sewing in that area because I haven't found as much enjoyment with the concentration it takes for some of the jackets I chose.  I also think the Summertime is not my most productive, as I have more time to spend with my kids than usual, and that keeps me pretty busy.

With all that said, would you mind if I showed you some photos from our mountain getaway?  


Last year it poured down rain on my birthday, and this year the sun came out! It was sunny, beautiful, and in the 80s!!! 

Out of all the crazyness going on in this world, I am thankful for my family and loved ones.  Every year I wake up on this earth is a beautiful gift from God, and I am grateful.  My gratitude is something the troubles and disappointments of this world cannot take away.  I have found joy living out the purpose of my days, and every breath I breathe says my presence here is valuable.  This is something that became evident to me around the age of 34.  I suffered a health crisis that caused me to change everything about the way I eat and live.  I still have a benign heart issue that I follow a cardiologist for, but every day remains a gift.  I always want to live in a way that honors God, honors people, and honors myself.  So while I enjoyed all that my birthday brought (cards, gifts, and well wishes), my truest contentment is knowing who I am and where I am going.  

Sitting in the mountains laughing with my family and enjoying smoked burgers and hot dogs did my heart good.  We had a lot of fun with this milestone birthday, too.  The day before the BIG day there was a lot of talk about "the last."

"Mom, it's your last workout being 39."

"The last hug before 40."

"Your last big meal before 40."

Well, you get the idea, lol! I am looking forward to what this new decade will unveil...

I will be back with some finished sewing soon!

Stay sew filled!





 

26 comments:

  1. I do not think you look anything close to 40! Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing your vacation and family pics. Your family is lovely! I always enjoy visiting your blog as the first thing I see is your great smile. I love your life attitude and gratitude. Look forward to seeing your next projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda!! I appreciate what you said!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! I love seeing the pictures from your mountain getaway. You have a beautiful family. And your life philosophy is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I’ve enjoyed your blog for a while now. You are such a lovely lady! Your family is blessed to have you as a wife and Mom. We are close to the same age, thanks for the reminder how every day is so special. I do love being a wife and Mom too.
    A friend from far far north, Shauna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy my blog! We have some amazing responsibilities as wives and mothers, and our influence is great!😊

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Vanessa! And congratulations on a very successful sizing down in that wrap top. It looks great, job well done! Glad you had a chance to get away for some quality time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! I was so amazed when it worked!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Vanessa. You have such a beautiful family. Your getaway sounds like it was perfect. Making memories with family just can't be beat, in my opinion. I love your tops. I have been eyeing the Kalle top lately. I have never sewn a button placket, let alone the hidden one that I have been studying on the Kalle top. I am into learning new things too, so I think I'm going to take the plunge and make it up. So nice seeing how yours turned out, and woo hoo for learning a new sewing technique. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The variety of things you can learn while sewing is one of my favorite things about the craft!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! I really love those tops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kids are adorable!
    Happy 40th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday dear Vanessa. Glad you had a great time with your beautiful family. Your tops are great and look forward to seeing the next projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday. Beautiful family, lovely sewing projects!
    I like to sew a whole outfit, makes getting dressed so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! I don't think I have sewed a whole outfit since the great module sewalong I did earlier this year. I have gotten so much usefulness out of sewing that way,so I am going to go back to sewing outfits.

      Delete
  10. I love the wrap top, and you look so radiant in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I was pleasantly surprised by this wrap top, and can't wait to try another version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the wrap top too, they are so flattering to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came to check if you'd blogged and somehow missed this. Happy belated birthday! Your family is so beautiful<3 I'm glad you had a great time and welcome to 40!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking! I am glad to be a part of the 40s club, lol!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!