Friday, May 8, 2020

April Recap

Hello everyone!

Today I am excited to go over the garments I sewed in the month of April!  


These tanks are an absolutely wonderful pattern by Winter Wear Designs.  I had been on a hunt for a tank pattern that uses very little fabric yardage so I could be more resourceful with my fabric scraps.  With warm weather moving in, I wanted to easily create a variety of basics to mix and match in my wardrobe.  This pattern is called the Starting Point tank, and I used leftover yellow cotton spandex from Denver Fabrics, and double brushed knit from Joanns.  


These two Seamwork tops turned out so much better than I expected!! I still have a Seamwork subscription, and have appreciated all the wonderful changes they have been making lately.  They have lots of intriguing patterns, and even created sewalong videos to help guide sewists. This Clarke pattern is one I have seen every time I logged in.  It is just so cute, and reminds me of the Ogden Cami by True Bias.  Since I don't own the Ogden, I decided to download it.  I lengthened the top by 7" so that it would not be cropped--especially since I don't have any high-waisted pants to wear them with.  I also raised the V neckline by 1.25 inches, and shortened the shoulder seam by 3/8".   

The top on the right in maroon is a mystery fabric.  I bought it from Walmart, and it has little stretch and doesn't ravel.  However, it feels like a woven.  I haven't hemmed it yet because I need to buy a suitable thread color to match.  The striped top on the left is a knit, and both are made in a size 2.  I loved the versatility of being able to use either a knit or woven, and still get amazing results.   I am definitely making more of these!! I have an animal print rayon challis that would suit this pattern well.


The next top is one I included in my April plans post.  It is a Burda pattern, and while making it I fell in love with Burda all over again! I love the way it is drafted, and the fit is very nice.  This is a size 38 done in a double brushed knit from Fabricmart Fabrics.  I am not entirely sure that the sleeve knots flatter my broad shoulders, but the pattern is well worth the sew if you like this style.  It has definitely made me open to putting Burda patterns back in the rotation again.  I still lean heavily toward Simplicity, but I am always open to trying something new.


These two tops are Kwik Sew 3766 again.  I have already worn both of them and I just love this top! 



And of course I cannot forget my newest find for scrapbusting my knit fabrics--the Megan Nielsen Acacia Undies!  I have worn every single pair of these, and I love them so much! Adding a little more fullness on the back pattern piece was a perfect solution for added coverage for me.  It is such a pretty use of fabrics I have on-hand, and a little goes a long way.


Last, but not least, I finished my Simplicity 2311 (OOP) coat! Before I put it away for Fall, I let it hang on my dressform for about a week, lol!  It will be nice to dig it out at the right time.

For my May plans, I will roll over a lot of the things I didn't get finished, and start on my next jacket, Simplicity 8418, a bomber jacket.  I had to order a few things to get ready for this project, but I now have what I need, and look forward to starting within a week or so.  My current sewing mood has been a lot more relaxed, and I am easing my way into this month.  I might start a quick and easy project first before I really dive into another jacket.  Also, I really need to start filling in some gaps for more bottoms, even if they are more simplified versions.

So overall that makes 7 tops, 6 undies, and 1 coat!  I am grateful for what I have accomplished, and look forward to how this month will unfold.  I hope you have wonderful expectations for your sewing too.

Stay sew filled!




7 comments:

  1. You have been busy!! Cute tops, nice to refresh your wardrobe sometimes, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I think refresh is the perfect word for the whole process!

      Delete
  2. I really like the seam work tops, they hang beautifully. And of course the coat is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one that didn't have the Ogden Cami pattern. Lol. It's so cool that the Clarke pattern can be sewn in either knit or woven fabrics. I love that. The maroon mystery fabric is so pretty. I almost missed the sleeve ties on the Burda top. Super cute. I love how wide the neckbands are on the Kwik Sew tops. Undies are definitely a great way to use scraps. I've never made a bomber jacket. I'm sure you're going to knock it out of the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are not the only one to miss out on the Ogden!! I am usually right on trend or WAY behind, lol!

      Delete
  4. You were so correct Vanessa! Your Clarke tops are so cute! and I love the changes you made to them! That Kwik Sew tee looks really nice too and one I truly am interested in! Also, I have to say that's a great idea to make undies out of scraps! Yours are so darn adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!