Tuesday, April 7, 2020

April Plans

Hello everyone!

Thank you to everyone who left a kind comment about my March sewing month!  I really appreciate it, and it warms my heart!  Today I will be sharing my April plans with you.  

About a week ago I decided I would do some spring cleaning, and slowly start attacking all of the places in my home that needed organization.  I started with a small hall closet, worked my way into our back laundry room, and ended up in (of course) my sewing room.  At first I only wanted to make things more orderly, but soon I discovered a stack of "forgotten treasures":


Does anyone remember the US edition of Burdastyle?  I subscribed to it when it first came out, and never made a single thing from it.  Not one thing!  Once I opened the magazines, I could see why.  While there are a lot of patterns, only select ones are included on the pattern insert.  The rest of them are pdfs.  From the pdfs, a few are free, and the rest you must pay for.  Since I didn't download any of the free pdfs, it is too late to receive them on Burda's re-vamped website, unless I buy them.  I guess I am 6 years too late, lol!!!  As I flipped through some of the designs, I got an idea!  Why not make something from one of these!  


I haven't decided on a particular pattern yet, but here is a sample from one of the roundups in the issue.  I am going to start with something easy, and move on from there.  I will be able to get my bearings with how these patterns work again.  Apparently, the seam allowances are included, so that is a plus!  It has been a LONG time since I have sewn anything from Burda magazine, so I am excited to see where this goes.  If you have any experiences with these past issues (they are no longer in print for the US version), please share with me.


Out of the styles I have seen, this tank is at the top of my list.  It has a cute cowl neckline, and doesn't seem to dip too low.  I have a few leftover scraps of fabric that I think will work perfectly as a wearable muslin.   

Now, just to note, I own a lot of Burdastyle magazines....a lot!  However, even though I have a stack of about fifteen to twenty, I am aware of the patterns I own because I have photocopied the line drawings and filed them away with my pattern collection.  I usually browse these from time to time, and pull the necessary magazine pattern sheet to sew.  This next one got away from my system!  It is the Burdastyle from 06/2019, and there are so many ones I noticed in here:


Here are some of my favorites:  



I love this basic tee with a sleeve tie.  Or maybe I am just loving twist and ties lately.  This one is made from a silky fabric, but I would love to try it in a knit.  



 This top here is an absolute love!  I always appreciate a V-neck, and I love the bow feature on the back x 2.  I am pretty sure this one will be traced out for this month.  

So, here are my thoughts.  First I will be finishing my Simplicity coat.  I only have a few more finishing steps to do, and then I will reveal it to you.    For the rest of the month, I will be turning my attention to my newly uncovered Burda treasures, and focusing on making a few nice tops.  If everything works out beautifully, I will also choose from these patterns on my wishlist:



Simplicity 8053--I love the color-blocked version, and have been wanting to try this top since I purchased the pattern.  I would probably leave off the pocket flap detail.  I am not against pockets or flaps.  I usually cut out the pocket pattern, sew it up, then pin it to my shirt so I can make a final decision on it.  Sometimes it looks wonderful, and other times...yes, I leave it off.  

Simplicity 1463--I have already made version A on the model to the far left.  It is a batwing top with cuffs, and it is wonderful!  I told myself I would made quite a few versions for Spring.

Simplicity 8389--I love the pants with the tie top belt!  I need to peruse my stash and see if I have any appropriate fabrics because I really want to make this one!

Well, I hope you enjoyed my plans, and are making some of your own!

Stay sew-filled!









 

 
 


 


6 comments:

  1. I have that Simplicity pant on my short list too! I found a great crepe from Rag & Bone at Mood for them!

    Those Burda tops are perfect! There's another top in that issue that I want to make. It's a woven with a cool front band detail and awesome sleeves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, now I need to look for that top!! I like the idea of a crepe in the pants! I have a crepe-like fabric in my stash that I bought from Walmart some time ago.

      Delete
  2. I purchased the Burda Style magazines and was disappointed that some of the patterns I wanted to make I had to go to their website. I have not seen them in some time. I like the ones you chose. I have all of the Simplicity patterns and the pants are on my list to sew. Stay well and look forward to seeing your new tops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the disappointment when the old Burda patterns you wanted to make weren't included. That never happened with the European version. I think that is a big reason it didn't last!

    I love those Simplicity pants!! I am glad you have them too. I definitely lean Simplicity on my pattern purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s lovely to rediscover patterns! It’s a shame you can’t use all of them but at least some are there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so true! They are new to me, and that is what I love!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!