Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Great Module Sew Along Wrapped Up

Hello everyone!

I made it to the finish line!  I completed and entered the Great Module Sew Along with these six pieces:



Here are my original plans:



It came down to the wire finishing up my second pair of Ginger Jeans, but in this case, my TNT pulled through!

Let me give you a rundown of each piece of my wardrobe



  • Simplicity 2339 Button Front shirt in a lightweight denim
  • Mccalls 7975 Twist top in a poly knit
  • Ginger Jean in stretch dark denim
  • Simplicity 8393 Cardigan in poly knit
  • Sewaholic Renfrew in cream sweater knit
  • Ginger Jeans in an olive gabardine 
I really wanted to convey a theme that centered around my first completed piece, the olive Ginger jeans.  I didn't have much olive in my wardrobe and I knew I wanted to make a way to wear this color more often.  As I began to do some research on coordinating colors I discovered that olive is not the easiest color to incorporate.  It IS treated as a neutral, however, I struggled to find a combination that suited me.  

Overall I found that I liked photos that used creams with olive the most.  This helped to guide my sewing, and in the final stretch I threw in some blue too--since I like it so much.  Moving forward, I have plans for more creams, golds, and blues.  While this wardrobe is a good reflection of Late Winter/Early Spring, the pieces I will add are going to be for Spring. 

Of course this wardrobe had a few hitches here and there.  I cut my twist top piece backwards (ha!), attached the cuffs on my button front backwards (is there a theme here?), and cut my dark denim jeans a bit too short.  But you know what?  I rolled with it, and really like how all my pieces turned out in the end!!  Even more, I know what I will do differently next time.

Lastly, this challenge was SO MUCH FUN!!! I struggled with my summer wardrobe pieces from last year, but I think this wardrobe was a bit more cohesive, and my approach more relaxed.  I imagine that sewing this way is a bit like a muscle that you have to exercise.  As you sew more and more, your sense of style and choice of pieces becomes stronger and clearer.  

If you would like to see more inspiration, see  #thegreatmodulesewalong on IG.  It is amazing to see all of the fantastic wardrobes people are creating off of this 3,2,1 concept.  I am definitely going to use this concept some more this year.

Thank you so much for reading! I really do appreciate all of the feedback you have given me in the comments, and I love seeing the things other sewists are working on and finishing as well.  

Stay sew filled! 




16 comments:

  1. Yay. You did it. How exciting. Great makes. I love your jeans. I have the Ginger jeans pattern but haven't sewn it up yet. Both pair that you made look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to hear what you say about the Ginger jeans pattern once you sew it up! I love it, though I am going to try and tear myself away from it to try another jeans version soon.

      Delete
  2. I love every single piece! Great fabric choices, and your fitting looks perfect. How are you doing as a nurse during this time? I hope that you are staying well. Please be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ann! A lot goes into fitting as you probably know, lol!

    I am an out of practice nurse, so I still have my license but haven't been in the field for years. I still have friends that work in the field, and they understand the nature of the job and the risk you take once you enter the profession. The real concern is adequately stocking hospitals with protective equipment for staff to remain safe. So, I am staying well so far during this time, yet praying for those at risk during this time. Thank you for your concern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look amazing! I especially like the denim shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's probably my favorite of all the pieces. I love them all, but the denim shirt replaced a worn out one, so I can see myself wearing it a lot!

      Delete
  5. Lovely Module! I appreciate the challenge you took on with using color, and you have a very successful wardrobe to show for it. I found that planning and grouping these projects together made me more productive! Like you, I have enjoyed this process, and I hope I will continue to keep it in the back of my mind as I choose new sewing projects down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Patty! Those are my sentiments exactly! I am glad to have followed along with your process as well.

      Delete
  6. great mix and match separates, it's so rewarding to sew them. You look so cute in the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so good on you! I love how the twist top came out and those jeans are just perfect. You have such a great mini wardrobe here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your tip on the twist top was perfect. I tacked it, and hand stitched some of it too. I love how it came out!

      Delete
  8. I love them, well done Vanessa! Great mini wardrobe ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana! Your picture tutorial for cuffs was excellent as I worked on my button front shirt.

      Delete
  9. Great module wardrobe. I like all the pieces. Glad you were able to complete by deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I usually miss deadlines, so I am grateful to have made this one.

      Delete

Let me know what you think!