Friday, January 18, 2019

Sewing Bits and Baubles..and a Renfrew too!

Hello and happy Friday!

I hope it has been a wonderful week!  I started my morning by receiving this via Amazon delivery...


I spotted this book last week at Barnes and Noble while on a date with my husband.  We are both avid readers, and one of our favorite ways to spend a date night is by going to the bookstore, picking out books we want to browse, sitting at the Cafe, and then talking to each other about whatever is on our hearts.  I mean, we can spend hours there, and it is such a fulfilling time together!

So, I saw this sewing book by Alison Smith, and immediately remembered the first version.  I actually checked that version out from the library and really liked a lot of the techniques and tips she offered.  As I browsed this latest release, I was blown away!  I am a visual learner who is always looking for references that will help develop me in sewing.  I know I can easily do a Google search, or watch a Youtube video/tutorial, however, I like the thought of pulling out a hardcover book, flipping through the pages (lol) and seeing what I need all laid out.  

Here are some of my favorite sections:

You can't go wrong with a section that will give you information concerning fabric characteristics.  Choosing the right fabric will often make or break a project, and there are lots of things to consider, including fabric care. 


There is also pages dedicated to taking your measurements, fitting, and making a muslin.  The illustrations are very clear in how to adjust the flat pattern.  For beginners, reading a pattern, and cutting and layout are also discussed.

And finally, I definitely love the huge emphasis on sewing techniques!  Hand sewing is mentioned and shown, and there are lovely line drawings for each technique that directs you to the page you will find the needed information.  It is well done, and I hope to use it over and over for years to come!




Another thing that started my day off right, was putting on this Sewaholic Renfrew that I made in December.  I really wanted to try the cowl version, and it does not disappoint!  I love it SO much!  It has a wonderful drape, and does not overwhelm your frame at all.  I have seen some people size the cowl down some, but I made mine as the pattern intended.  I have a sew day planned this month, and as long as my other projects are done, I want to sew up another one Renfrew.



The fabric is a brushed tri-blend in mustard  from Boho Fabrics.  I discovered them a couple of months ago via a Facebook online community group, and absolutely freaked out over a lot of the fabrics they carried!  I ended up placing a couple of orders, and have decided they are high on my list of places to order from.  Granted, the shipping costs are high, but the quality of fabric, excellent customer service, and small business support makes it worthwhile for me.  

Here are a few other lovely fabrics I received from them that I am trying to figure out what to do with:


The first one is a floral knit that is soft and gorgeous!!!  It has rusty tones that make is perfect for the winter/spring transition.  I just don't know what to sew with it, lol!  I am leaning toward a dress of some sort, though I am open if I find another pattern that works better.


This second fabric is a sweater knit that is luscious and soft, with beautiful drape.  I do have plans for this one!  I bought Simplicity 8790 as soon as it was released, and I have even seen a couple of nice finished versions online:

This will be my first Sew House Seven pattern, and it is Version A that I had to have.  I think it is my fascination with hoods!  I have been wearing my Kelly Anorak, and the hood has come in quite handy for the weather here in GA.  On days with lighter rain, it is nice that I don't have to bring an umbrella.

With all that said, I hope to show you some finished projects from January next week!  

Stay sew filled!






12 comments:

  1. I love your Renfrew! The mustard color really looks great on you. Thanks for the book review; I love hardcover books as well. Looks like it has a lot of great information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad to meet another book lover too!

      Delete
  2. Your Renfrew top and the book both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely book, enjoy 😊 Your new top is pretty and love the cowl and colour 😍 Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! The cowl is my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really looking forward to seeing your version of S8790. The pattern looks like it could be a winner!

    Alison Smith is awesome, right?! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the versions I see popping up, S8790 just might be!! I see you are a fan of Alison Smith too!

      Delete
  6. Your Renfrew looks fabulous! and I haven't seen S8790....love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Patty! S8790 does have a lot of great views!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vanessa! Happy New Year. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention. Like you, I am a visual learner. But I love having my "sewing books" at hand. It's wonderful to be able to read and follow the instructions on process. Your top is lovely and perfect for the weather that we are getting in the mid-west. Love your fabric choices and S8790. Take care, C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cennetta! I think you will be pleased with this book, especially being a visual learner too!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!