Monday, December 3, 2018

November Recap and S8393 Review

Hello everyone!

It's December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I am nearly finished with the RTW fast!

I hope this past Thanksgiving holiday treated you well, and you got to spend time with loved ones, family, and friends.  My family had the pleasure of spending most of that week at Disney World, and it was spectacular!


Though our time at the parks was filled with fun, my sewing output for November can be summed up by two cardigans.  The first one is a black french terry sweater knit version from Simplicity 8393:



The second cardigan is another version of S8393 that never got photographed.  I took it with me to Florida because the temperatures were in the high 70s, and I planned on having it for the cooler evenings.  Well, as soon as my mom saw me in it, she shrieked and said "I just love that cardigan! Don't tell me you made that?"

When I told her I did, she asked if she could have it.  She tried it on, and even being 5'4, it fit her beautifully.  I told her I would think about it, but I already knew I would give it to her.  Mostly because after all of my years of sewing, I have never made anything for her.  Not because I didn't want to, I just never heard her express any interest in items I have sewn until then.  So, if you see a royal blue version of this pattern on a lovely lady in her mid 60s around the Savannah area, that could be my Mom, lol!!!

Okay, so back to the first version in black.  I love this cardigan!!!!!  I made a size 12 with only a 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment.  The french terry sweater knit is from Michael Levine's, and it has a lighter variegated gray knit on the inside.  Both sides are beautiful, but I knew the black would get more wear for me.  It sewed beautifully, and my only changes to the design was to close out the splits down the side, and add a small cuff to the sleeve (the length was a tad shorter than I expected).


I admit this was a sleeper pattern for me.  I actually breezed right past it while looking in Simplicity's catalog during one of those 99 cents sales, but came back to it later.  I am so glad I did!  This is a great style of cardigan if you like the casual open look.  The pockets are a wonderful addition that are not too big or small.

I have worn this cardigan quite a few times now, and look forward to sewing a couple more neutrals.  I also entered this into the #cosycardichallenge on Instagram (Nov. 30th deadline).  Do you remember my entry from last year?


If you said the Oslo cardigan in black, then you were right!  I still have this cardigan, but it has faded quite a bit due its heavy rotation in my wardrobe.  I fully plan to sew another cardi next year if this challenge continues!!

As you can see, I am fully enjoying my RTW fast this year.  In fact, I will tell you now that I will be pledging again for next year!  That will be a whole new challenge for me, since I won't be able to prepare for the fast as I have the last two times I have done this.  Is it possible to go back to back years in sewing my own clothing???  Well, we will have to find out!

For December, I am finishing up a jacket I started mid-November, and though I could give you a sneak peek, I will wait until it all comes together.  I will tell you that it will be a nice piece to wear as the weather transitions to Spring.

Stay sew-filled!

10 comments:

  1. Great cardigans Vanessa. That was so cute that your Mom loved the cardigan and you of course handed it over. So glad you and your family had a fun filled Thanksgiving holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Faye! We really did, and I hope your holiday was enjoyable too!

      Delete
  2. Great cardigan!Your kids are adorable and have grown so much!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes they have grown a lot--especially in height! :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely cardigan. Glad you had a wonderful time with your family. Can't wait to seeing the finished jacket 💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hana! I hope to be able to share it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cardigan looks great, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is pretty close to a daily staple until the temps here drop some more!

      Delete
  6. I love Disney World! Glad you and your family got to go and spend time there together. Love your cardigan! Looking forward to seeing your new jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright!! Another fellow Disney World lover!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!