I am glad to be back and let you know that all is well. My last post was just before the effects of Hurricane Irma, and I was uncertain as to what I would be facing when the storm was over. Though the week was harrowing, to say the least, I am grateful that our home was spared from any serious damage. Our power was out for about eleven hours, and lots of trees came down in our neighborhood, but we did not have any flooding.
Due to power outages from the storm, my kids didn't have school for a couple of days. So it was definitely a week out of our normal routine. On the one hand I was happy that we were all together (hubby included), yet on the other hand, I longed for my usual daily rhythm. In spite of everything, the human spirit thrives! It is hard to believe the storm happened only a week ago, but the people in our neighborhood have been amazing in the way they have come to each other's aid. As my neighbor said, "this storm seems to have brought out the best in us." Yes, it has!
Thank you to all who left comments of concern. I tried to respond to each of you as I was able. For now, I am glad to be blogging again, and have some progress photos to show you of my Kelly Anorak:
Let me preface my thoughts with a few things: From my understanding, a muslin is not needed for this jacket unless you are concerned about the length of the jacket on you. In my case, I have NEVER made a jacket before, and am using it as a testing ground. So, I am taking fit into account, but I am also using it to practice some of the "new-to-me" techniques. I will be sharing with you what I am learning along the way.
That said, this is a size 8, which I am still baffled as to how I came up with that. I am sure I referenced the finished garment measurements, but don't know if I thought about the items I would be wearing the jacket with. It is a nice jacket with ease, but I am not sure how well it would wear over something bulky or heavier like a sweater. Granted, this jacket won't take me through the winter, but I would like to have the option of wearing bulkier clothing underneath.
I think the length is ok. I haven't decided yet whether I will add another inch for my longer torso. But I definitely want to add some more width along the hip area.
So far the instructions have been good. I admit to scratching my head on a few steps, but there were lots of portions in the construction order that reminded me of shirtmaking. For example, you use the burrito method to attach the jacket front and back yoke. Had I not done that recently I would have questioned it for sure.
There are LOTS of pieces in making this jacket. So many (21, I think) that I am going to have to be organized, and extra careful with marking and interfacing them. But I LOVE the way the pattern is drafted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been a joy to have everything match up well, and fit beautifully. The more I sew from different pattern companies, the more I realize that drafting matters. For sure, there will be things you need to tweak according to your body type, but you shouldn't have to adjust an entire pattern. NO BUENO!!!!!
I am still plugging away each day, except for Project Runway nights. I will check back next week with an updated muslin.
In the meantime, I did finish my Seamwork pattern of the month! I chose a cropped sweater top called Astoria, and here is the sneak peek I posted to my Instagram:
I will have a full review up by the weekend. Also, I am still working on pics of my striped top and vest for my son. It turns out that photographing a wiggling, moving toddler is a challenge, lol. Figuring out what to wear with a open back shirt is also a challenge, lol.
I hope your fall sewing is going well too!
Stay sew filled!