Thursday, September 21, 2017

Kelly Anorak muslin in progress

Hello everyone!

I am glad to be back and let you know that all is well.  My last post was just before the effects of Hurricane Irma, and I was uncertain as to what I would be facing when the storm was over.  Though the week was harrowing, to say the least, I am grateful that our home was spared from any serious damage.  Our power was out for about eleven hours, and lots of trees came down in our neighborhood, but we did not have any flooding.

Due to power outages from the storm, my kids didn't have school for a couple of days.  So it was definitely a week out of our normal routine.  On the one hand I was happy that we were all together (hubby included), yet on the other hand, I longed for my usual daily rhythm.  In spite of everything, the human spirit thrives! It is hard to believe the storm happened only a week ago, but the people in our neighborhood have been amazing in the way they have come to each other's aid.  As my neighbor said, "this storm seems to have brought out the best in us."  Yes, it has!

Thank you to all who left comments of concern.  I tried to respond to each of you as I was able.  For now, I am glad to be blogging again, and have some progress photos to show you of my Kelly Anorak:


Let me preface my thoughts with a few things:  From my understanding, a muslin is not needed for this jacket unless you are concerned about the length of the jacket on you.  In my case, I have NEVER made a jacket before, and am using it as a testing ground.  So, I am taking fit into account, but I am also using it to practice some of the "new-to-me" techniques.  I will be sharing with you what I am learning along the way.

That said, this is a size 8, which I am still baffled as to how I came up with that.  I am sure I referenced the finished garment measurements, but don't know if I thought about the items I would be wearing the jacket with.  It is a nice jacket with ease, but I am not sure how well it would wear over something bulky or heavier like a sweater.  Granted, this jacket won't take me through the winter, but I would like to have the option of wearing bulkier clothing underneath.


I think the length is ok. I haven't decided yet whether I will add another inch for my longer torso. But I definitely want to add some more width along the hip area.  

So far the instructions have been good.  I admit to scratching my head on a few steps, but there were lots of portions in the construction order that reminded me of shirtmaking.  For example, you use the burrito method to attach the jacket front and back yoke.  Had I not done that recently I would have questioned it for sure.  


There are LOTS of pieces in making this jacket.  So many (21, I think) that I am going to have to be organized, and extra careful with marking and interfacing them.  But I LOVE the way the pattern is drafted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It has been a joy to have everything match up well, and fit beautifully.  The more I sew from different pattern companies, the more I realize that drafting matters.  For sure, there will be things you need to tweak according to your body type, but you shouldn't have to adjust an entire pattern.  NO BUENO!!!!!

I am still plugging away each day, except for Project Runway nights.  I will check back next week with an updated muslin.  

In the meantime, I did finish my Seamwork pattern of the month!  I chose a cropped sweater top called Astoria, and here is the sneak peek I posted to my Instagram:


I will have a full review up by the weekend.  Also, I am still working on pics of my striped top and vest for my son.  It turns out that photographing a wiggling, moving toddler is a challenge, lol. Figuring out what to wear with a open back shirt is also a challenge, lol.  

I hope your fall sewing is going well too!  

Stay sew filled!




7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are safe! Disasters are so hard but I agree that they always bring out the beautiful side in people if you're looking for it.
    I am very excited to watch your progress! Making jackets are the most fun. You learn so much! I think Claire at Domestic Coquinette had an issue with the zipper being too long. You might check out her Instagram post about that before diving in. I think I remember her saying other people had an issue with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have made me really jealous Vanessa. I purchased the Kelly pattern last October and still have not even taken it out of the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa. I'm glad you and your family are doing well. The hurricanes have devastated the lands. God bless. Your jacket is going to be so cute. A lot of pattern pieces may seem like too much. But once you start putting it together in your fashion fabric and you see the beautiful details, it's worth it. Your top is cute, I've haven't tried this pattern brand. Oh yeah, I'm now following you on Instagram. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that you're doing well after the hurricane. It's a blessing to escape with no damage to your home. It's been so devastating to see the effects of all the hurricanes these past few weeks.

    You're making good progress on your anorak. I don't like to have too many pattern pieces, but it does add great detail to the garment. I can't wait to see how the final version looks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you are safe and your family is well. Your muslin looks pretty good. You are definitely on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you are safe!
    The Kelly Anorak is such an awesome pattern and the online sew-a-long is such a treasure when getting to those tricky parts (like installing the zipper!) will be watching out for your update

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to the finished product! It's looks great so far. Proud of you !

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!