Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Aurora tank top

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the kind comments from my last post regarding the back to school garments I made for my kiddos!  Summer Flies asked me whatever happened to my shirt dress, and I promise I haven't forgotten about it.

Sometimes I tend to get in a sewing stall (especially on complicated/ new-to-me projects) and I am still learning to ebb and flow, rather than giving up altogether.  For me, I find that sewing an easier project, and then coming back to what I have stalled at, helps me to refresh and push through.  That doesn't work for everyone, but that has certainly been my process.  So, thank you for asking!  It is still on my list for August, LOL!

In the meantime, the Aurora tank top has been a wonderful distraction:


I have so much to say about this EASY sew!`  Let me start by saying that this is a Seamworks by Colette pattern.  Basically, it is their beginner-friendly sewing line that coincides with their online pattern magazine Seamwork.  You can see the details below, or skip ahead to my review (I am not here to sell anything, only to provide info).

How Seamwork works: 
For $6 a month, you receive credits to sew at least 2 Seamwork patterns, and get FREE access to their online magazine by the same name.  The Seamwork patterns are formulated to
  • be made in an afternoon (quick wardrobe WIN)
  • be worn together (tops, pants, cardigans, cape, cropped jacket, you name it, with more styles added each month/as well as pattern hacks)
  • enhance your sewing experience as you learn new techniques (wonderful for beginners)
  • help you make clothes that fit (sizes 0-26)
Once you download the pattern, you keep it in  your pattern library forever. I am still figuring out just how accurate each of these benefits are, but I will say the Aurora top was definitely a quick sew that I could see one completing in an afternoon.  I finished mine about two hours from start to finish (cut-out to completion).  Yay!

Another perk of the magazine is that you can use your credits to purchase Colette patterns, and ebooks as well.  

I decided to trial the program when I saw an ad offering a membership for half the price--$3!!!  I mean, I am willing to pay $3 for access to a library of smooth sailing patterns that keep my sewing mojo going.  I will evaluate just how much I like it as the months continue. You can find more info here.

Review of Aurora


Okay, if you know me or read my blog at all, I FULLY admit to the fact that PDFs are not my thing. I have tried a few, and I always hate taping them and putting them together because they don't match up well.  Somehow I broke this cardinal rule of mine in my interest in this pattern.  And, guess what? I taped this thing together so fast it made my head spin!  Literally, I watched Project Runway, lined up the pages, and had it all adjusted and cut out within 20 minutes. 

I made a size S, and graded to M at the waist according to my measurements.  My whimsical print is from a Girl Charlee bargain knit lot that I purchased back in April (my only fabric purchase this year, yikes).

Here is the layout of the pattern once I got it together (also posted on my Instagram):



I was mainly concerned about the fit since I had never sewn anything from Colette before, but now I don't know why I was worried.  It fits like a dream!  The back has a lovely yoke, and the front is slightly gathered at the straps.



Speaking of gathering, let me tell you a little bit about garment construction.  For the positive, the instructions were easy to follow, and there were helpful hints given along the way.  I despise gathering, and will find anyway around it, but I did love using three rows of basting stitches to gather as opposed to two.  It created beautiful gathers that needed minimal manipulation--I am one happy sewer after doing it this way!

On the flip side, I LOVE my garments to look clean inside and out (as much as possible).  I thought there were some areas of the instruction where a cleaner line could be created, and it did not equip the sewer with that knowledge.  Maybe I am SPOILED by Burda and Ottobre, LOL, but I just made my own adjustment and moved forward:

FRONT

BACK
The back has a pleat, which creates a nice effect.  It gets lost in the busyness of the pattern, but lots of pressing helped me to get it set in right.  The shapely hem is also a great feature.

Overall, I am pleased with the Aurora tank!  It easily has the capability to be a staple wardrobe piece that you can create different looks with.  In fact, I am working on a "different" look for this one right now!  


Until then, I am enjoying the heat in this cool tank!

Stay sew-filled!

8 comments:

  1. It's super cute!! And I love the fabric.

    That's the kind of sewer I am too. I know some people HAVE to finish the in-progress item before moving on...I am often motivated to come back to the naughty item after having a win :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way- when a project is giving me trouble, I put it in a "time out". Many times when I come back to it, either a solution presents itself, or the difficulties don't seem or hard after all.

    Love the new top. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute top! It fits you beautifully. I love the colors and print of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tank! Lol @ the PDF! You did it well though. Thank goodness for PR, it makes everything go quicker lol. Proud of you friend !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I love the fabric. I hate PDF's too but have caved once or twice. I'm often putting things in the naughty corner or jump my queue for a sewn item for someone else. I like to come back to it but sometimes I leave it too long and feel like I'm starting over save for the cutting. I'll be looking forward to the shirt dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate PDF patterns, too. But I must say this one is definitely worth it. It has nice details for a tank, which makes it look really cute. I love the fabric you used. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god! It is so pretty. It will look fantabulous with my ALO yoga pants also. I think I am going to follow your blog religiously from now on. It looks amazing. I like collecting such printed tank tops and tees. I am a very colorful person and prefer wearing colors rather than blacks and whites.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!