Thursday, June 22, 2017

Mystery of the Shirt Dress Muslin Solved!

Hello everyone!

I am back with an updated muslin to show you. Since my last post I made a few adjustments and changes to make my Threadcount 1607 Shirt Dress fit much better.  Here are the results:
6 inches of length removed
Binding applied to right shoulder

Same changes with a small
tie belt from my closet


I really liked the direction my shirt dress was headed after I made all these changes.  However, there were still a few things that bothered me.  For one, the armhole of my shirt was still pretty huge, even after applying my binding.  I would have to raise it by 1.5 inches!!  How is that possible?


Secondly, the bodice still seemed a bit loose, and like I could pinch out an inch of fabric on both sides.  Something went wrong, and it took me time to figure it out.

Until...

I had an epiphany!

I sewed a size 14 straight, with no changes.  By the measurements alone, my hips fit nicely, but it was way too loose in the bust. Since my body shape is a pear shape (small on top, wide on bottom), I needed to start with a smaller size on top and grade up to a size 14 on the bottom.

Granted, I usually do this, but somehow I must have gotten TOO excited and skipped this step.

Thankfully, I have refined my original pattern, and am cutting out my fabric and starting over.  I think I have enough info from my first muslin to skip a second one, but SADLY, I won't be able to participate in the Sew Together for Summer series.

Nevertheless, I am moving forward.  There will be other sewing challenges in the future.

Stay sew-filled!






10 comments:

  1. That collar looks perfect! I really like it tied at the waist.

    And yes, those armholes are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's looking good. In fashion college we always learned to buy what fits on the shoulders and bust first as these are the hardest to fit and just grade out on the bottom. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new length. It looks really good with the belt. I'm glad you figured out the issue. I can't wait to see the final version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is coming along beautifully. I like it with the tie at the waist. And I am glad you discovered the issue. I look forward to seeing your finished creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes your dress is coming along very nice and that's the perfect way to get your appropriate fit (by sizing out from top to bottom!). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why some armholes are soooo deep - especially on a sleeveless garment. I agree with everyone: the muslin looks good and fits well. I like the belted version too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the belted look. You are doing great, looking forward to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be so cute!! Can't wait to see the finished result! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!