There is still a week left in the month of January, and I am elated to have finished my FIRST project of the year!! It is the Simple Sew Zoe Dress (my version is a tunic), and I'm going to tell you all about it:
I must say, this was a good pattern to start off with! I wholeheartedly agree that this was indeed a Simple Sew! I started out by choosing a Mod Square Poly/Lycra from Fabricmart Fabrics (no longer available). It was one of their pre-cut fabrics, and I have really been enjoying the quality of pre-cuts that they carry.
Anyhow, this fabric is nice and drapey, with a small amount of stretch. It really behaved more like a woven, so I wanted to be sure I had enough room in the end result so it would fit. I sewed a size 10 for the waist, but graded to a size 14 for my hips.
The pattern listed the finished measurements, and I love that! The fit was spot on! I did add a 1/4" to the front and back seams, but I don't think it was necessary. I was just being a "nervous Nelly" since I have not sewn anything for myself in a while.
I did make some changes, though. I ended up leaving off the pocket, and didn't bother with an inseam pocket either. I also shortened the length by 4 inches because the dress was LONG, and I wanted it to end mid thigh or so. Lastly, I did not do all of the topstitching. I left off the CB/CF stitching, but did do the neckline and sleeves.
The inside of the garment is also pretty! I realized that it went much quicker to serge the raw ends of my garment first (without the knife engaged), and then sew my seams. Brilliant! From there I just pressed the seams open, and it looked nice and clean.
There is a slight amount of excess in the back, but the fit is comfy! Also, considering the curviness I was working with, I think I deserve an award, lol! It was not easy, but I know each time will get better.
Overall, it feels good to meet the January MAGAM goal to "get back to sewing."