Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January MAGAM Completed!

Hello everyone!

There is still a week left in the month of January, and I am elated to have finished my FIRST project of the year!! It is the Simple Sew Zoe Dress (my version is a tunic), and I'm going to tell you all about it:


I must say, this was a good pattern to start off with! I wholeheartedly agree that this was indeed a Simple Sew!  I started out by choosing a Mod Square Poly/Lycra from Fabricmart Fabrics (no longer available).  It was one of their pre-cut fabrics, and I have really been enjoying the quality of pre-cuts that they carry.

Anyhow, this fabric is nice and drapey, with a small amount of stretch. It really behaved more like a woven, so I wanted to be sure I had enough room in the end result so it would fit.  I sewed a size 10 for the waist, but graded to a size 14 for my hips. 

The pattern listed the finished measurements, and I love that! The fit was spot on! I did add a 1/4" to the front and back seams, but I don't think it was necessary. I was just being a "nervous Nelly" since I have not sewn anything for myself in a while.  


 If you remember from previous posts, I received this pattern from a UK sewing magazine. My whole reason for sewing this was to gain experience concerning their patterns, since I already LOVE the magazine. Well, I can definitely say that this pattern is a winner--a great sew for a beginner and up!

I did make some changes, though. I ended up leaving off the pocket, and didn't bother with an inseam pocket either. I also shortened the length by 4 inches because the dress was LONG, and I wanted it to end mid thigh or so.  Lastly, I did not do all of the topstitching. I left off the CB/CF stitching, but did do the neckline and sleeves.


The inside of the garment is also pretty! I realized that it went much quicker to serge the raw ends of my garment first (without the knife engaged), and then sew my seams. Brilliant! From there I just pressed the seams open, and it looked nice and clean.


There is a slight amount of excess in the back, but the fit is comfy! Also, considering the curviness I was working with, I think I deserve an award, lol! It was not easy, but I know each time will get better.

Overall, it feels good to meet the January MAGAM goal to "get back to sewing."  


Stay sew-filled!


6 comments:

  1. It's fantastic! It's a great print and the fit is great. And I really like it at tunic length.

    Way to kick off 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, this is too cute! I love the tunic length, it's one of my favorite silhouettes to wear, and the fabric is gorgeous! Great job, Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job! The fabric is so perfect for this pattern. You look great.Definitely a great project to get back to sewing for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vanessa, really love your new tunic. It turned out beautifully, perfect length and lovely print :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! The styling, print and pattern work perfectly together -- plus you look so happy in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this! I love that dress. I love the monochrome fabric. You look great in it.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!