Friday, July 24, 2015

Look at my feet!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to take a moment to go over a few of my recent sewing-related purchases. Since I knew I wanted to jump back into sewing again, I tried to think of things that would make my life..easier.  You know, some handy items that help you to cut corners...a little bit (lol).  I came up with sewing machine feet!!!! I have a few basic ones already, but I decided that I wanted to venture out and purchase a few more.  Here's what I got:

1. Walking foot
Now, if you are a reader of my blog, you probably already know that I have a walking foot already. In fact, I use my walking foot for pretty much EVERY fabric I sew--especially since I mainly sew knits. It helps the fabrics to feed evenly, and makes sewing a dream.  So why did I need another one? Well, my old one has seen better days, and it really needed to be upgraded. It was a cheapie I got on Ebay, and I think the parts are mostly plastic, so I knew it wouldn't last forever. I'm so excited to use this one soon!


Now this foot does a narrow rolled hem in one step! I remember working on a project last year, and working with a more slippery fabric, trying to create a narrow rolled hem. I was so frustrated! I loved the finished look, but it took me a while to accomplish it. No more! This foot will definitely be getting lots of usage!



Topstitch much? Need a little help making sure your topstitching is straight and even? Try an Edgestitch foot. I think this one is also called by other names, but it basically has an adjustable guide that will help you to achieve straight stitching. My only topstitching has been on the jeans I started (but haven't yet finished) and though my lines are nice and straight, I sewed VERY SLOWLY in order to get them that way. I'm looking forward to trying this one out and seeing if it will help me speed up just a little bit.

I also considered getting a gathering foot, but very quickly remembered that my Brother serger has one INCLUDED!  I have been watching the video tutorial for that feature, and plan on practicing on scraps this weekend. It looks pretty easy, though.

I have been storing my "feet" in a bin from Hobby Lobby , and plan on buying more down the road, once I can decide what I would need, and how it can benefit my sewing. 


If you would like any more information on Sewing Machine Feet, you can check out Craftsy's FREE class. It has information on basic feet (if you are just getting started), and more advanced ones too. 


Stay sew-filled!

6 comments:

  1. Vanessa, this is interesting in that I just purchased a walking foot as well. I also purchased additional feet for my machine. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an Amazon junkie and I purchased many of my sewing feet there. I got a walking foot (so helpful for knits) and the bias binding foot (because it was cheap -- haven't used it yet!). You can find all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all of the feet you posted above and they have all been useful to me. They really make a difference. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own and utilize all the feet too. You know what the say, "The right tool for the right job." All my sewing machine are Singer and the work beautifully. I even used the walking foot on my Vintage Singer. They are great investment all sewist need to have in there arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so I was watching a dog rescue video before I click over to you. Saw the headline and where did my thoughts go? "OH!!! SHE GOT A PUPPY!" Brain derail :)Oh well, made you laugh I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes yes and yes! You will love using all of those feet.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!