My version is similar to the pattern, with a few variations. I decided to do a 3/4 sleeve in order to make this a great transition piece. Also, there is no hem slit at the sides. Other than that, it is the same.
For fabric, I used an ITY knit from Fabricmart's Julie's Picks club. This fabric was my attempt at trying something new, and stepping outside of my "box." Woo hoo!!! I love this fabric! In person it has a psychedelic feel. There is a slight sheen, and it looks so doggone luxurious. It really makes this basic design pop!
For adjustments, I played around some more (you all know me and the fun I like to have with fit) with the pattern, and ended up with this:
Square shoulder: 1/4"
Broad shoulder: 1/4" (Which I really did NOT need)
Forward shoulder: 1/2" (A little too much, but not noticeable)
In all my fit fiddling, I missed out on the fun of doing a swayback adjustment, but that's ok. I used Craftsy's class Custom Fitting for Back, Neck, Shoulders:
The instructor, Kathleen Cheetham uses a slide and pivot method for most of the adjustments, and really does a great job to getting more in-depth about why certain adjustments are needed. I have some fitting handbooks, but I was really curious about knowing the "why," so I could figure out the "what." The last time I made this shirt, it looked great, and I wore it for the Superbowl; however, I kept getting this annoying pulling at my shoulders. I am happy to report that this shirt does not have that annoyance factor. When I wear it, I feel pure joy!
As a side note, I wanted to give a little construction details. Can you believe I got my serger out for this tee???? Yes, I sure did! I finally realized that I used to finish my projects a bit speedier because I used my serger--A LOT! And I wasn't at all tentative about using it in the past. In fact, I got pretty good the more I utilized it. So, I am getting over my fear!!! The worse that could happen is a mistake. And even then I still have options (hint, hint, buy more fabric).
For the neckline, I had no issues with it coming together. However, my problem was with my twin needle. Ugh! I really do not like twin needles anymore. I am just hanging in there for a coverstitch machine. I used a stretch twin needle, loosened my tension (upper I believe), stabilized my seam, and I still got skipped stitches with a little bunching. Thankfully, this tee is a print so you can't tell, but if this was a solid color, I would have been disappointed. I read about trying wooly nylon thread in the bobbin, so I am going to try this next. If you can see, I have left the hem unfinished for now, but I did get a good hem on the sleeves. I just didn't want to risk skipped stitches on the bottom hem.
So, I bet you aren't surprise to hear me say this about V8536:
It is still a great basic shirt to make! My only slight critique is the excess ease in the sleeve head, but that is a small issue to overcome. There is a wrap top option in this pattern that I will probably come back to, but for now I have another top in mind. However, I am not opposed to making this one over and over--and over again!
Before I go, I have set a deadline for my jeans to be finished by October 1st. I will update about my jeans again soon. I have decided to work on tops in conjunction with my jeans. I am doing it with the hope that I can begin making a real dent in my Fall sewing plan before Fall actually gets here!
My next top choice is: