Sunday, May 25, 2014

Maria Denmark Top in Stripes "Another one to love"

Hello everyone!

I finished my Maria Denmark Top!!  I decided to work on a striped version this time, not realizing how much I don't like working with stripes!  In fact, if I say that I want to sew stripes again, remind me not to do it, ok?

It wasn't a bad experience, just more time-consuming.  First I spent time carefully laying out my pattern before I cut it to make sure all my stripes lined up.  Then I spent time pinning so that the fabric wouldn't shift and offset my stripes matching.  The end results are nice, but I don't think sewing stripes is for me.  Now that I am all done, here is how it turned out:




I cannot tell you how much I love this pattern!  The fit is amazing, and it is such a simple sew with a big payoff.  I could easily make more versions (this is my second one), and may do so once I finish my concert tee and white dress.  Either way, I am well pleased with this one, and consider it a TNT!!!!!!  Yay, my first tried and true!  

*If all else fails, I could just sew this top all summer long, and not get tired of wearing it.*



I'm not going to go through all of the details for this top, but I will say you can read my review of my last version if you are interested in more information on it.  Basically, this is a size XS done in medium weight value knit I picked up from Hancock Fabrics.  

I prefer this fabric slightly more than the last version I made, only because of the weightiness of it. The drape is also beautiful, and I found it very easy to sew.




I am finding that I prefer to use a stretch stitch when sewing knits.  I am slowly using my serger more and more again; but for finishing my knits off, I like a stretch stitch as opposed to the twin needle.  Even when I can get my twin needle working correctly, I am just not a fan of how it looks. Also, sometimes I get a skipped stitch here or there.  My stretch stitch is far more reliable, with consistent results.


I did add more length to this top than I did the last one.  I think the total amount came to one inch. I may stick to that length going forward.

All in all, if you could not guess it from this post, I LOVE this top!!  I plan on wearing it this week to one of my kids' playdates.  You know you have a winner when you can't wait to wear what you made.  



Stay sew-filled!



7 comments:

  1. That is pure patience to match stripes so perfectly (I don't know if I have that in me!). You are right that this pattern is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the striped version more. You did a perfect job matching the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the stripe matching! I'll have to check that pattern out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see you love this top - I have one similar I bought last summer that I plan to trace off and copy. easy to sew, comfy and versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this top too! You did a phenomenal job on stripe matching and made this top very professional looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this?! Love it! You've got a TNT knit top pattern now!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!