Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Burda 2/2014 faves

Hello all!

Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement in my last post about my Vogue wadder!  I am happily working on the same shirt in a different fabric, and hoping that the second time around will be better.

In the meantime...

Look what I did (again)!


Yes, I was easily persuaded by the masses of people who love Burda Style magazine, and decided to subscribe again.

 I got a little too excited, and ended up subscribing to three months of Burda Style (the translated edition), one year of the new US edition, and two issues of Burda Style Easy.  I figured that I would find something in all those issues that would appeal to me, as I journey in sewing everything I wear this year.  Actually, that is the plan--to sew a garment from Burda magazine for myself.

I have sewn from Burda before when I made trousers for my son (see here), but I never ventured into "me" territory.  I was a little intimidated by the different sizing, and I also found that tracing their patterns was not as easy as the ones I traced from Ottobre Magazine.  With all that aside, I am ready to try my hand at their patterns, with renewed faith that I can make something work!

So, I got my first issue (2/2014) in the mail early last week, and I wanted to share with you the things I really liked, and what I planned to sew.

First off, let me say that I LOVE this magazine!!  There are so many wonderful garments in this issue!

Take a look:



This is a nice Raglan style mini dress with a square neckline.  I love it!  I am mostly fascinated as to how they got those stripes to line up!!
This is a tailored Boucle jacket with a peplum, zipper, and Raglan sleeves. So chic!!




Here is an A-line skirt, cut on the bias.  I love the A line style with a lot of movement, as well as the shaping in the waistband.



This single-breasted blazer with rounded edges is just gorgeous!  I like that it falls a lot lower on the body, and depending on the fabric, can be dressed up or down. The jacquard they used gives the structured blazer a more romantic feel.

And for plus sizes...

This two tone dress is stunning!  I love the color combination, and the slimming effect of the curve going across the dress.

You can't go wrong with a classic double-breasted jacket!  It is so flattering!

Last, but not least, I have saved my most favorite item for you:



This top is in my near future to make!!  
I am not sure when, but once I find the right fabric, this is one I just have to sew

I hope you all liked my picks. Those are just a few of the styles that stood out to me in this magazine, but there is so much more I left out that you might like.  If you are interested in seeing the full line, you can check them out here on Burda Style's Russian website.










4 comments:

  1. Vanessa - I am going to rush home to check my mail... I do love this magazine. JoAnns has Burda patterns for $2.49 this week - I don't know how long the sale lasts but I just picked up 4 patterns for $10 instead of $45.00 - Great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been nervous to get Burda style. I find I have a love/hate relationship with the patterns. Do you find it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked so many things in this issue that I ended up buying someone's copy for a whopping $14! :) I really like that last top and it's the "special" pattern -aka- easier to trace off!

    That jacket. I had fabric for a different style jacket but I love it so much that it will probably steal away from the other project. It will be absolutely gorgeous come spring. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the double-breasted jacket. I just have no desire to do all the tracing and adding seam allowances, etc. Argh.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!